Storage on a Mac 26D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Hi Sumner,

We spent two weeks in the North Channel in July and we are just finishing up our second week on Lake Champlain. Had to haul out when Irene came through - lots of damage, destroyed boats and flooding. Sitting at the Boathouse in Burlington VT tonight and you would never know a hurricane came through less than a week ago (except for the debris in the water - lots of deadheads).

Chris
That's great, except for Irene. Do you have pictures of the North Channel trip up and are you going to post this trip? Both of those places are very pretty from the pictures I've seen. I've been to VT a couple times,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Does your boat have a pushpit-stern rail?
No stern rail - wide open back there. The only thing that sticks up is the mast crutch which I plan to leave in place all the time because it works for a hand-hold when getting in/out of the boat.

oreana123 said:
I put a gas strut on the laz door. Holds it open, holds it closed. Fire exting mounted on underside
That IS a great idea - I'll have to look into that - doesn't have to be big either....do you have a part number or some details that you can share?

holdech said:
My best "hold open" for the aft locker lid. Sail Clevis and S hook.
That is another great idea...and one that fits my budget right now!:)

timebandit said:
Can you deploy the anchor from the bow if the boat is adrift and bouncing all over and headed towards the rocks? I can chuck the anchor righ from the laz. in the safty of the cockpit and cleat it off to a rear cleat if need be.
That's interesting, because several months ago, when I first started re-fitting my boat, I had thought about mounting the anchor in the laz area, with the rode running to the bow along the outside of the boat, through the slip-eye, and then back to the cockpit so I could do just that - throw it overboard, but still have it routed to the bow so it would hold the boat from the bow and not the stern. Might have to re-visit that idea, but not right now...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
My anchor is not mounted in the laz. it is just stowed there in a milk crate on top where is is easy to get to.

I anchor in a place that is about 15 feet unless I miss the spot then it is about 50 feet and that is a big difference in rode.

My depth sounder is mounted about even with the front of the cockpit so I toss it overboard from there and walk the bitter end and crate to the bow and anchor from there.

If something goes wrong and I need to stop the boat for some reason, then I will toss it from the cockpit and just tie off to a rear cleat.

That's interesting, because several months ago, when I first started re-fitting my boat, I had thought about mounting the anchor in the laz area, with the rode running to the bow along the outside of the boat, through the slip-eye, and then back to the cockpit so I could do just that - throw it overboard, but still have it routed to the bow so it would hold the boat from the bow and not the stern. Might have to re-visit that idea, but not right now...[/quote]

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
fwiw, I carry 3, 2 on the bow, 1 in the laz in a milk crate.

-always nice to have a spare anchor and rode, ready to go...

sometimes Neptune likes your primary so much, you don't get it back...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....-always nice to have a spare anchor and rode, ready to go...

sometimes Neptune likes your primary so much, you don't get it back...
Yep, I agree, we also always have 3 with us. I'd hate to have to stop a trip because we lost an anchor.

It hasn't happened yet but we have been close a couple times...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/09-10-8-Powell-09.html

I don't want to repeat that,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
I have a small 4lb Danforth (pictured) held on the back pushpit rail with a Windline anchor holder http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Anchor_Holders-Windline_PM1_Rail_Mount_Anchor_Holder.html
Only has 12m of 8mm rope and 1.5m of 5/16" chain and is used to hold the stern into sandy beach shore in order to get off the boat. I find this arrangement very very good as the bottom rung of the ladder goes about 12-18 inches below the water which is enough not to foul the ladder too much when the tide goes out and yet low enough to be able to climb onto when we are in deeper water.

A bunge cord (pictured) goes around the top of the ladder to hold it upright against the stern rail. This same bungee can be extended out to catch the eye on the lazarette hatch that the locking hasp fits over - very quick and very easy.

Having the anchor near the ladder is great because often the stern of the boat is starting to drift out into deeper water as you are trying to get off. This way you can quickly grab the stern anchor and step off the ladder before you get up to your neck in water.

The stern anchor is only very small, however that also makes it very light and easy to move in an emergency. When I look back I have had a couple of emergencies where I could easily have thrown out the stern anchor whilst on the tiller and saved a lot of stress about someone going up front to let down the bow anchor. A lot of areas we sail are in shallow mangrove channels - if the water was deeper I would probably increase the length of the rope.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.