Storage Hatch Strut Project

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Finally got around to adding a strut. All the new boats have them. Makes life so much easier. Easy to lift, stays open, doesn't drop on your head, no more bungees, easy to close.

Pics attached.

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Nice ! What were your install considerations, strut rating and material sources? I would like to do an install, but don't want to experiment with a number of drilled holes.

Apr 27, 2010
@Gunni

I only used one strut. The newer boats use 2 struts, one on each side.

I used the strut here http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Other/Gas-Shock/8406233.p. and the strut hardware http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Other/Gas-Shock-Mount-Bracket/8410797.p

Attributes & Specifications

Size(s) 26.3 in.
Force 70 lb
Stroke Length 15 in.

Not sure on the Hatch weight but took a guess from the last time I got hit in the head :eek:

Looks like they don't carry it anymore. You'll need to find a local supplier that meets or exceeds the Force and Stroke specs.

Also if you go with 2 struts you can Halve the Force spec.

Last edited:

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
Mac Master Carr carries gas springs in all sizes. For the weight of most hatch covers it will not take much of one. You will want to measure how long you want it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Wow, McMaster-Carr has a huge selection of gas struts, including SS! Thanks Joker your project improvements are really enjoyable. Those lazarette hatches are dangerous if not properly secured. Mine are very similar, but I estimate that 30 lbs would lift them...do you have to apply strong force to close your hatch?

Apr 27, 2010
No, the hatch closes very easily and all my fingers are now happier.

The rope you see in the photograph limits the opening since I have the winches are there.

I still need to do the starboard hatch.

Last edited:
May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
Maybe a line or small chain on the strut to stop the travel instead of a rope in the way on other side??

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
With a gas spring, you most likely will not need any thing to prevent it from closing and it will close easily.

I would suggest moving the bottom end more forward. It may require a longer gas spring but it will give you more support.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
With a gas spring, you most likely will not need any thing to prevent it from closing and it will close easily.

I would suggest moving the bottom end more forward. It may require a longer gas spring but it will give you more support.
Because of the shape of the hatch/seat it's tricky to find a mounting spot for the base of the strut that will fully counterbalance the hatch. Fortunately, the boat in the photo has a "wall" beside the hatch opening, some boats have nothing but open space in that area. In that case, one may have to get a bit creative. The strut is certainly definite advantage. Using a piece of line as a stopper is really acting as a shock absorber to prevent any over travel that could tear out the strut brackets or cause the hatch to hit something in the open position.

Apr 27, 2010
Attached is a Catalina 375 with the hatch strut installed by the manufacturer and where I stole my idea. Note that the strut is vertical and perpendicular to the hatch in the open position. This is how I came to the position on mine.

Notice how they mounted the lower support without a back wall.

Attachments

Mar 28, 2010
Beneteau 352 - hull 235 Rock Hall, MD
Gas Strut Project

Joker:
Great information. Since last winter when I did the Genoa Winch project you put online (which works like a charm) I have been using a simple line with a hook to the bimini supports. Although it works adequately, it is inconvenient. This is a better idea. Now I will have something to do over the winter when on the hard.
Thanks
Dave Wood

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Attached is a Catalina 375 with the hatch strut installed by the manufacturer and where I stole my idea. Note that the strut is vertical and perpendicular to the hatch in the open position. This is how I came to the position on mine.

Notice how they mounted the lower support without a back wall.
That's the same way I ultimately mounted the gas strut on mine