Storage cover for Catalina 320

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
I see a few boats in the marina with reusable covers while many have white or clear shrink wrap. Shrink would cost me $700. Seems like a lot every year. Does anybody know where you get reusable covers? Do you recommend against this since they won't cover as well or as thoroughly? Blue tarp from Home Depot looks a little unprofessional but very cheap. Thanks!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
North shore canvas on Long Island New York. I bought the Nor-Easter winter cover and on my 7th winter with it and still going strong . Paid for itself a couple years ago. Easy to install with wife.

He travels and takes measurements of every boat.

well worth the Investment and highly recommend.

good luck
Greg

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have used custom fitted covers for over 30 years. They are more costly to purchase than shrink wrap but they can be used over and over. 10 to 12 years typically. Shrink wrap is one time use typically. Some people do reuse it but that’s a whole other process and conversation about how to do that.
shrink wrap can be recycled To reduce the waste volume.
With shrink wrap it’s essential to get proper venting or you end up with mildew all over the interior of your boat.

There are companies that make what I will call generic fitted covers. Can’t speak to them because I don’t have experience. We have a local company that custom fits them to each boat. The last cover cost around $2700 but it expected to last more than 10 years. It’s made of breathable material so mold / mildew isn’t a Concern. Best part is our guy has a service where he puts cover on in the fall, takes it off in the spring, inspects and repairs it, and then stores it for thr summer. So I don’t have to deal with it. In my case it’s a big cover and storing it (we moved into a condo a few years ago) would be a problem for me.

Blue tarps are a nightmare. Had a Catalina 34 that I tried to use tarp on. Took 2 people over 8 hours to get it fitted and even then it hardly made the winter. Due to medical issues, the next year I couldn’t do the tarp and searched and found the canvas cover. I could put that on working alone in an hour.

so here is a picture of what I have.
IMG_0013.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I bought a cover 9 years ago from The Canvas Store (www.thecanvasstore.com). Still going strong 9 seasons later.

Mine is in 3 sections that zip together, so easier to store, carry, etc.
No support structure needed, just the boom.

View attachment 221717

Greg
Oh for sure. My first cover for the Catalina 34 was in one piece. When that one bit the dust after 11 years the new one was in 2 sections. The owner of company that makes them was getting older like the rest of us and said he got smarter about making them in sections with zippers. For our Hunter 38 it’s in 3 sections. Way easier for we senior citizens to manage. LOL