Stink boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imhepp

I am just now the proud owner of a fairly clean 1973 Balboa 20. While the exterior has been restored to like new the interior is a clean slate. With the exception of the Waste holding tank. The cabin smells like an outhouse! THe articles Ive read online sugest replacing the waste tank hose and making sure its vented properly. At first inspection it apears as though the vent hose is run into the cabin. Phew! Can someone please point me to a manual or at the very least provide a plumbing digram?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If the tank IS vented inside the boat...

That must be corrected ASAP!'CG regs require that all waste tanks be vented to the outside of the boat because methane is flammable and the anaerobic gasses generated by waste breakdown--sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide--are not only toxic, but can be lethal in high enough concentration in an enclosed space. So check that out first. The hoses MAY need replacing. To find out, wet a clean rag in HOT water...wring it out and wrap it arouond a section of hose. When the rag has cooled, remove it and smell it. If you can't smell anything on the rag, the hose is fine...but if you can smell the same odor on the rag, the hose has permeated. Replacement is the only cure. Test each section of hose...use a clean rag for each section. Whether the toilet should be replaced depends on its age and the make/model...unlike household toilets, all marine toilets are NOT created equally. There's a wide range in their quality and durability.... Iow, you get what you pay for, and most builders--most owners too--don't want to pay much. So what's the make/model of the toilet? Or, your odor problems may not have anything to do with the sanitation system...there are many other sources of odor on a boat that make it smell like a swamp or a sewer. You asked if there's a manual...try the link below.

M

Michael

Thanks for the plumbing advise

Thanks for the the plumbing advise I have puchased the book you recommended. I Any recommendations on which is the best head to purchase for a 20' day sailor? BTW...the manual I seek is a manual for the entire boat not just the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.