Still some work to do on the latest project....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice work. I see you also cleaned the glass. Helped to show off the metal work.

Boats are a labor of love. How many ports do you have on the boat? This COVID thing has given us all an excuse to spend time on the little detail things we might otherwise give a lower priority.

You might get finished this summer with all your ports looking spiffy.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Nice work. I see you also cleaned the glass. Helped to show off the metal work.

Boats are a labor of love. How many ports do you have on the boat? This COVID thing has given us all an excuse to spend time on the little detail things we might otherwise give a lower priority.

You might get finished this summer with all your ports looking spiffy.
My boat has seven ports. I've been ticking off projects in my spare time. If they are broken down into ~2 hour jobs none of them seem overwhelming.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
ever tried a mini 1" buffing wheel in a dremel tool? that and buffing compound.
another hobby of mine is RC planes. lots of micro tools.
i'm a fan of dremel tools and all the many options.

looks very nice

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
It must be tough though... Living in paradise like you are.... Even your dog was smiling on the beach.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
ever tried a mini 1" buffing wheel in a dremel tool? that and buffing compound.
another hobby of mine is RC planes. lots of micro tools.
i'm a fan of dremel tools and all the many options.

looks very nice
Yep...that is my usual approach, but my dremel tool is in Hawaii and my boat is in Redwood City, CA. I'm doing a long term work deployment in the SF Bay area. The plan is to sail to Hawaii in late May or early June 2022. I don't mind doing the work by hand. It actually goes pretty fast.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
we are counting on you phil for lots of photos from the trip.
that beautiful boat out in the wild blue yonder.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
we are counting on you phil for lots of photos from the trip.
that beautiful boat out in the wild blue yonder.
There will be lots of photos, boat based video, drone video (most likely), and even some satellite imagery. I work for Maxar (previously DigitalGlobe). They do most of the satellite imagery for Google maps & earth. My boss is making me bring a corporate satellite phone & GPS locator so he can task the satellites accordingly. They want to use some of the images for marketing purposes. My daughter, Samantha is coming on the trip. Her two biggest passions are sailing and photography.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
SO your the guy who takes and processes those images.
Nope...I'm one of the guys who did integration, test, and launch ops for two of their current operational satellites in my previous job. Now I do oversight of the company that is doing integration, test, and launch ops for the next 6 satellites.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh. So is your boss using your voyage to test the satellite's are there or that you are still around while cruising the seas....

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Oh. So is your boss using your voyage to test the satellite's are there or that you are still around while cruising the seas....
I think it's a combination of both. He wants some cool images for marketing and he wants to make sure I'm still alive.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I spent a fair amount of time on Saturday afternoon working on the bronze project and a couple others. I then spent the night on Kolibri after getting my heating stove up & running.

IMG_3302.jpeg

this morning I had my coffee in the cockpit with a great view as the moon worked it's way down to the horizon.

IMG_3303_cr.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
This one is now completely done. The other 6 are between 2/3 and 3/4 done. Now that I've completely worked out the process it won't take long to wrap it all up. In the future the use of a Dremel tool will greatly reduce the work time, but that's alright this time around. I've been enjoying the time on my boat.
done.jpeg