Still Pulling Out My Hair……

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all......again,
After running this problem last week and receiving some good advice, I find myself in the same boat....still. The leak is now a bit worse and enough to trip the bilge pump. It is still ONLY raw water and I still cannot determine where this leak is coming from...only while the engine is running. I'm suspecting that maybe there's a crack in the back of the heat exchanger where it meets against the back of the engine?? If there was a crack in the exhaust manifold, I would assume the antifreeze would also be leaking, which it is not. So, I guess my next step is to pull the x-changer and examine. Has anyone had this kind of problem?

Hi all,
Just discovered a new engine cooling problem that really has me scratching my head.
I have a 97 MKIII, with a 25XPA.
Being one of those almost nonexistent owners with a dry bilge; I noticed about 1/2” of raw water in my bilge after running the engine for about an hour. The engine runs at a perfect 160 degrees consistently.
My first thought was the stuffing box, which I found to be set perfectly. Next, I noticed the muffler had hairline cracks around the intake and discharge tubes and has a very slight leak. I marine texted them and stopped that leak. I have a new muffler on order. But, this did not stop the leak I was searching for. I checked ALL of the raw water hoses…no leaks or even stray moisture. The same for the heat exchanger. I did notice a 5 second drip from under the oil pan while running but, for the life of me, cannot find its source! My raw water pump is new and checks out. My raw water intake thru-hull checks out. The raw water filter checks out as do all of the hoses in. Has anyone had this problem?
Please help, I’m pulling out whatever hair I have left.

Thanks to all and Happy Sailing,

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I can't believe you haven't been able to find the leak using the paper towel stunt as I mentioned in your previous post:

Pulled the HEX on my Yanmar last winter. A dirty, picky job but somehow I enjoy that kind of mess. Unless you enjoy this sort of mess (as do I), I'd keep going with the paper towels. It WILL eventually show, but you need to be persistent.

If it's leaking enough to trip the bilge pump, it's got to show while the engine's running. I know you've run the engine in gear while tied to the dock to observe the engine ............................. haven't you ?

May 12, 2004
Catalina 30 St. Petersburg, Florida
I used to own a Catalina 30 and recall that when underway, the TOP of the rudder post is below the water line. Therefore, catalina put a stuffing box on top of the rudder post and it needs to be serviced or else it will leak when underway. This may be your problem. You can access this by removing the panel at the aft end of the rear quarter berth. Remove and replace the old packing material. This is an easy maintenance task that only needs to be done every 7 years or so and as rarely done until it leaks.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
My C-30 had a confounding leak that I finally traced backet to the aft end of the stern tube hose - it's very tight in there and the clamps weren't seated and tightened properly causing a slight trickle - worth a look.

Sep 25, 2008
My C-30 had a confounding leak that I finally traced backet to the aft end of the stern tube hose - it's very tight in there and the clamps weren't seated and tightened properly causing a slight trickle - worth a look.
Thank you. I’ll be examining that area for that as well.

Sep 28, 2021
catalina 30 Great Kills
I used to own a Catalina 30 and recall that when underway, the TOP of the rudder post is below the water line. Therefore, catalina put a stuffing box on top of the rudder post and it needs to be serviced or else it will leak when underway. This may be your problem. You can access this by removing the panel at the aft end of the rear quarter berth. Remove and replace the old packing material. This is an easy maintenance task that only needs to be done every 7 years or so and as rarely done until it leaks.
Would you know if that was same for MK 1

Sep 25, 2008
Thank you for the reply. Once I admitted my pig headed stubbornness, I looked more carefully and found 2 cracks in the exhaust hose, just above the thru hull. Temporary fix eith rescue tape.