Still confused about charging!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
One of my zantrex chargers finally quit. I replaced it with a Pro Mariner 12 40P.

It seems to shut down prematurely. My victron will be reading 80% and 13.7 and the Pro Mariner goes into automaintain and puts out zero amps. If I shut it off and turn it right back on, it will go to 14.7 and output 20 amps.

I called Pro Mariner and the kid had no real answer as to why it won't keep charging longer. Says the battery is full. But if battery is full, why on reset, will it go back to charging...for a considerable time?

The solar panels are putting out about 6 amps or so during this time.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Cause that is the way it works. The charger assumes that on power on something happend while it was off so it starts charging to give the owner indication that it is working. After a few minutes it checks the battery SOC (voltage actually) by powering down for a few seconds and then measuring the voltage.
Try this to see if it will stay on. Turn on everything 12 volt to create a demand. Something like 20ish amps. The unit should stay on (it will still turn off every once in a while to check the battery SOC) due to the voltage during its test being drawn down by the load making it think the batteries are not charged.
Good luck

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I powered down for 10 seconds and powered back up. Went from zero amp out to 20 amp out and stayed at 20 amp out for over an hour

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
It works but was not on during this period.

when I had 2 zantrex tru charge 40+ chargers, they played nice together and either/or did not shut down prematurely like the pro mariner does

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Sounds like you may have a California Emissions Compliant charger. TURN THAT FEATURE OFF!! You want to run it in PS mode not BC mode.....

When you first boot the charger you will see 888 on the screen followed by "bc" for about 5-7 seconds. While "bc" is still on the screen hit the up or down arrow until it says "ps" then hit enter. The charger is now running as a standard battery charger and no longer beholden to the laws of the State of California...

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Wow. Thank you for that insight. I will check it the next time I fire up the genny. That may be a while, our 480w of solar are mostly gettin it done.

Thanks and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Sounds like you may have a California Emissions Compliant charger. TURN THAT FEATURE OFF!! You want to run it in PS mode not BC mode.....

When you first boot the charger you will see 888 on the screen followed by "bc" for about 5-7 seconds. While "bc" is still on the screen hit the up or down arrow until it says "ps" then hit enter. The charger is now running as a standard battery charger and no longer beholden to the laws of the State of California...
So as to spare the rest of us the research effort - does anyone know what evil, threatening, emissions could escape a battery or battery charger thus to pose a clear and present danger to California residents?

Charles

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
does anyone know what evil, threatening, emissions could escape a battery or battery charger thus to pose a clear and present danger to California residents?
Uh, boy!
It's got to do with the state's reliance on fossil fuels for a lot of their electrical generating stations, and their attempt to cut down demand.

Feb 6, 1998
So as to spare the rest of us the research effort - does anyone know what evil, threatening, emissions could escape a battery or battery charger thus to pose a clear and present danger to California residents?

Charles
Should have read California Energy Compliance......

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I have the 1220 P and the manual states that selecting "PS" mode puts the charger in power supply mode so that it works without batteries connected. You're saying it works like a charger in "PS" mode ????

Attachments

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Uh, boy!
It's got to do with the state's reliance on fossil fuels for a lot of their electrical generating stations, and their attempt to cut down demand.
Oh dear. The threat from battery chargers is so obvious. I completely missed the argument.

Charles

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
BOOM (shaka-laka) BOOM!!!
Couldn't wait to try it.

RC You da man. Switched it to PS on start up.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Not so fast pilgrim.

SOC was around 78 when I started. After about an hour, Victron says 80 SOC but Pro Mariner is at 13. 7 and amps are 7. Cycled it off and on and got 14.7 volts and 28 amp charging. And its still in PS mode.

Feb 6, 1998
Not so fast pilgrim.

SOC was around 78 when I started. After about an hour, Victron says 80 SOC but Pro Mariner is at 13. 7 and amps are 7. Cycled it off and on and got 14.7 volts and 28 amp charging. And its still in PS mode.

Only accepting 28A at 14.7V indicates a considerably fuller bank than 80% SOC when you have a 900Ah bank. Heck a 40A charger is only .044C of your banks capacity. If that bank were really at 80% SOC the 40A charger would be putting out all it could. Seems like a battery monitor calibration issue as well as other sources possibly playing ping pong.

Was the Xantrex also on?
Was solar on?
Are you using this with a generator or dockside?
What are the voltage settings of each charge source?

If using it with a generator mostly I would suggest going into the custom settings and setting it for 14.8V absorption and 14.7V float when running the generator..

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Honda 2k gen.
Cloudy day, minimal solar charging. Blue Sky charge controller, the unadjustable 2512's.
Zantrax off.

Usually, the Victron fools me in the opposite direction. Meaning 80% is usually too hi, more like 70 or 75% SOC.

Feb 6, 1998
Honda 2k gen.
Cloudy day, minimal solar charging. Blue Sky charge controller, the unadjustable 2512's.
Zantrax off.

Usually, the Victron fools me in the opposite direction. Meaning 80% is usually too hi, more like 70 or 75% SOC.
If using the Honda just use the custom program option then switch back for dockside...

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have been using the Pro Mariner only since installing it this summer. I still have the second zantrax tru charge 40+. That doesnt seem to cut out as quickly.
choices could be:
zantrax on gen, pro mariner at dock.
Zantrax and pro mariner on genset together, preferred at times.
Some other combo?