STIFF Steering - The Battle Continues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
I have asked several times on this board for assistance on my STIFF Steering, and have gotten EXCELLENT, informative,responses,,, however,, on my 1984 Hunter 31',,,

the problem persists, and I believe I have it narrowed down,,,
This is a Yacht Specialties Pedestal ( and yes I know that are out of business) The Edson Pedestal "Help" page does not address this issue,,
with the Cables reoved from the Quadrum, the rudder moves freely and easily,,, with the Chain raised, and free of the sprocket, the wheels moves "stiffly",,, even with NO Pressure on it,,
I spoke with Mike Thomas at Hunter for his advice, and he suggested the problem could be in the "axel gear (s)" which I believe resides within the interior part of the sprocket,,, this would be the two connecting points inside the Pedestal for the "axel" to rotate freely,,,

I can find ZERO information on this, in the archives or online, and have been frustarated with this problem for a couple of months, and have shot Gallons of WD-40 and "Blaster" into and onto every part inside the Pedestal,

seems to be a VERY difficult area to access and work in--

Help!! and as always, Thanks!!!

"Coyote"

Ray T

Jan 24, 2008
Hunter 216 West End - Seven Lakes
Re:stiff steering

Coyote, It seems like you have narrowed the problem to a specific area. Ill give you the same advice I used to give the men working for me. Stop dancing around the problem and start disassembling. A lot of solutions become apparent as you dig in. I realize you are unsure about what to do so I thought a little pep talk might help. Good luck, Ray T

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
As Ray T well advices you need to get in there but

first see if you can locate a source for parts for the pedestal to cut down on down time. Looking for a used replacement could also be advisable and as a last resort price a new Edson. There is always the alternative of converting the boat to tiller steering but have a backup plan in place when you start to dissamble.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
WOW.. That is a strange one, Coyote.. Is the wheel brake stuck “ON” ? This is the stuff attached to the chrome knob (about 3" in diameter) that comes out the stbd side of the pedestal, even with the plane of the wheel axle.. The knob tightens two brake shoes against a cylindrical surface immediately aft of the sprocket on the wheel axle. If the knob is loosened and the shoes don’t release, it will act exactly as you describe.. The parts are sort of bronze colored and you should be able to see the two shoes and the tensioning screw, looking in from the top. The shoes should be loose enough to wiggle with your fingers when the knob is slacked a lot. If they aren’t then ya want to move them with a prybar or screwdriver so that they can release the wheel..

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Bearings??

If the "stiffness" feels like there is sand in some of works I'd bet you have a bad bearing. Most are standard sizes so you can get a replacement without much trouble. If the "stiffness" is a "smooth" type then most likely there is something rubbing due to being out of alignment or something stuck (a piece of rag etc) in the works.
Ditto Benny's comments you will never KNOW till you start to take things apart and certainly check the wheel brake.
Good luck

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Re: Bearings??

Hey Kids:::

Thanks for the quick replys ---
There is NO Steering Brake,,, PO removed it when they installed Auto Pilot,,,,,
(and problem still exists with AP Removed)

Feels as if you are driving a car with NO Power Steering,,, wheel moves you have to give it a bit o' muscle,,, my friends Catalina 30 in the next slip, turn the wheel, and it continues through the radius almost on it's own with very little effort,, one finher, where as I have to almost "Yank it"

"Coyote"

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
OK, Coyote.. It REALLY is a strange one.. I will agree that disassembly is the only thing left.. I know this is not an Edson Pedestal, but the web site has a kind of “go by” drawing that is pretty good to visualize what you are up against.. didn’t know if you’d seen this .. The last two pages in the file are the ones that may help.. http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/planning/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Thanks again,,,

I have seen that information before,,,,
I would ask, how does one access the AFT Shaft Bearings,,,,

I can't believe I am the only one to encounter problems with this important part of the Steering System, considerring how many "older" Hunters are still Sailing,,,

Thanks for your help!~~~
"Coyote"

Attachments

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
WELL,,,, after spending the better part of TWO DAYS trying to dismantle this "beast",,, IT IS DONE!!!!
Yesterday we determined that the AFT Bearing (forwrad is ONLY a bushing) was the culprip, and was going to have to be Drilled Out from the Pedestal,,,

we had been using a hammer, trying to get the shaft to come through the bearing and out of the Pedestal, when a Fine Gentleman came by and asked what the "he*l" I was doing, discussed the issue with him, and asked permission to come aboard, LOOKED at the Shaft and said the was a "Roll Pin" in place and need to be removed, and once done, the shaft should "Fly Out", which it did,,,

at this point, All Steering Control is removed from the Pedestal, will head to the "Bearing Store" Monday Morning with my accumulated parts, and am hoping for an Off The Rack Fit,,, ReGrease, and Re Assemble,,,

I AM AMAZED That I think I am the ONLY Sailor to have to go through this effort!!!

If anyone ever needs to do this procedure, consider me and my TEAM the Resident Experts!!!

will Report back when ReAssembled!!!

Thank you ALL again for ALOT of GREAT Input!!!

"Coyote"

Status
Not open for further replies.