Stern Tube Hose

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
o day o day 26 Bay Harbor- Erie,Pa
I have a 1984 O Day 26 with a diesel engine. while sailing this summer I noticed my stern tube hose looking like a pot belly pig.I think it's original. Needless to say, changing it out will be one of my spring projects. My question is -does anybody happen to know, off hand the out side diameter of the stern tube? I would like to order it this winter.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I don't have that data, but you need to know the ID as wall thickness can vay, Hunter boats with 1 inch shaft have 1.75 inch ID hose. If the boat is out of the water, just take the hose off and measure the stern tube.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have a 26, but I did replace the stern tube hose on my O’Day 322. I think mine was 2” ID for the hose (so about 2” OD on the stern tube. Mine was a little loose, but the stuffing box is 2” OD, so that is what I went with.
I contemplated putting a few wraps of fiberglass and epoxy to build up the stern tube diameter if it was too loose, but did not end up needing to do that.

Hate to say it, it you are better off getting out to the boat abs measuring both the stern tube OD and the stuffing box OD (make sure they are the same).

What size prop shaft do you have? Not sure if that helps determine the stuffing box size, which determines the hose size. For what it is worth, my shaft is 1”.

Good luck....aren’t boat projects fun :banghead:

Greg

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I was actually going to craw in the boat and measure . I really didn't want to break the seals on the hose until I was sure I was able to pull the shaft (1'' ) .Thanks again

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I was actually going to craw in the boat and measure . I really didn't want to break the seals on the hose until I was sure I was able to pull the shaft (1'' ) .Thanks again
You don’t have to pull the shaft to replace the hose, but you do need to remove the coupling that connects it to the transmission output flange. Depending on the condition, this could be a challenge. Then slide it out a little to get the stuffing box off the end of the shaft, get the hose off (best to separate the 2 if space is tight), and the. Put the new hose on, then the stuffing box, the put the coupling back on and connect to the tranny.

This might help...what I did to remove my coupling...I was trying to save the shaft...which in the end I replaced anyway due to cracks in the shaft. But it shows how I separated the shaft and the coupling.

This might have a little more info on the shaft removal

and this is putting it back together...

Good luck!

Greg

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
The Great Videos were great!!!! The one taking the coupler off the shaft was exactly what I needed to see. I just have a couple questions-The jig you made looks pretty hefty ,maybe 3/4 inch ? All I have laying around the garage is 1/2 plate ,do you think that 1/2"would have pulled your coupler off? I noticed that you use Liquid Wrench to break the bond between shaft &coupler. In all my years in the steel construction industry I've never found anything better than Kroil oil. I've seen it break loose nuts ,bolts & shaft ,you were sure you'd
have to break out the the torch. Anyhow that's my two cents. Thank you again for taking the time to send me the videos. It's people like you that make this forum such a great place to learn and grow

Jan 7, 2011
1/2 “ thick plates would probably work...mine are on the boat, so I can’t measure them, but I think they are made from 1/2 plate.

I hear good things about Kroil, but I had Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster on hand.

The real key for me was the right bolts...those high strength shoulder bolts healed the socket very tight.

Good luck! Always fun to work on a boat!

Greg

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
Justin NSA Thanks for sending the article . Actually I have read it before and I was going to look it up to refresh my memory .Now You've done that for me and now I have the Info in one convenient forum . Thanks again