Stern Sun Shade

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I have reviewed the previous posts on sun shades. My issue is when returning to the marina later in the day the sun is very hot shining into the cockpit. I would like to make a shade that extends from the back of the Bimini down to the bottom of the stern seats. I have seen similar ones on power boats.

Any suggestions on material considering I want to block the sun but not cause too much resistance to forward movement by having a full 'curtain' covering the rear of the cockpit.

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have screens made from a mesh- blocks most of the sun and much heat, but can still be seen through. One snaps to Bimini, and to snaps on traveler supports. The side one can be moved to either side as needed

shade.jpg

Feb 21, 2008
I was going to use a zipper on the top. Not now. The idea of snaps so you can move from side to side is great!
Does the screen slow you down a lot?

Thanks

Feb 21, 2008
Twist locks probably the winner. Really like the ideas from Charlie and Terry that allow the curtain to be moved.
Thanks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On my Pearson 30 that I sailed in FL, my canvass guy attached a simple flap to the rear of the Bimini that I could roll down and tie off on either side to the stern railing. It came down just low enough to shade me neck and the upper part of me back. When not needed, I’d just roll it back up; out of the way. Very simple. Not built to shade the whole cockpit, just the helmsperson sitting at the wheel. But the shading did coincidently include some more of the cockpit stern. A full cockpit shade at the stern would be a different kind of animal, however.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
My wife made one for us from Phifertex at Sailrite. I’ve seen large beach umbrellas and even a collapsible awning from Walmart used for shade.