Stern rail stiffening

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matt ezra

last year I installed davits from Ocean Mariner Systems on my Catalina 34 mkII. while I am happy with the davits I do have a concern about fore/aft flexing in the split stern rail. has anyone found a way to provide additional support to the stern rail????

M

Mike Thomas

A remedy for you

Matt: Since we last conversed I have been hard at work to find the right fittings to make a yacht quality rail stiffener system available for your yacht. All yachts with a split stern rail encounter some troubles with fore and aft support for the rail on the yacht centerline. Davit systems can accentuate this force, given the leaverage they exert on the rail structure. I am now able to say that I have the fitting available and will be measuring a sistership tomorrow for the correct dimensions. The system will consist of a 75 degree rail stanchion base, a precut length of 1" tubing (same size as your rail), and a rail clamp that will fit your rail on either a vertical or a horizontal plane. It will install between the yacht's rail and the swim platform seat, and will offer the added advantage of providing a grab rail for people exiting the water from the swim ladder. This kit will allow the rail to place a compression load that will be carried directly into the deck, eliminating any rail flex whatever. The rail will essentially be only a "spreader" and accept none of the dinghy's weight whatever. I had some trouble with the concept of using flat bar as a reinforcing medium as it can (a) be bent off plane, and (b) does not fit in with the tubular structure - affecting the overall apearance. I think that this solution will solve the problem you are experiencing and improve the look and functionality of your system. Please contact me towards the end of this week or early next week. I should be able to give you an ETA by then - but it will not be long in coming. Thank you for airing this issue here, as rail reinforcement is a question that is frequently raised. I am sure others will have something to say here as well.

D

Don Hall

Re. A remedy for you

Mike, Sounds like a good solution. I asume it will work on a C36mkII as well. Correct?

M

Mike Thomas

C36MkII

Yes, this rail stiffener kit will work on the 36 as well as the 34. As time goes on, I expect to make it available for many other models as well. We will make that information available on our web site.

P

Peter Larson

The remedy

I have installed the same remedy suggested and it works great. It is a great hand hold for coming up the swim ladder and there is no stern pulpit flexing whatever from the weight of the dinghy.

M

Mike Thomas

A question re stern rail stiffening

We can offer this rail stiffener kit in two styles. Both would terminate on the swim platform seat, in the manner previusly outlined. However, it is possible to tie the tubing support into the top rail or to the lower rail. Installation on the top rail would clearly be stronger, but installation on the lower rail would be less obtrusive. I think that the lower rail option would still provide sufficient strength, so that is my current preference. I welcome your comments!

P

Peter Larson

Stiffening attachment point

My stiffening struts are mounted at the lower rail. If I had made them longer and mounted them at the higher rail they would have rubbed against the side of the dinghy.

D

Dan Smith

even better way to stiffen davits

I have a 42 markII and found that the rail got too much flex when I put a 11' rib (155 lbs) on it. Rather than put a brace to the stern I put a brace at a 30 deg and on a paralel extension to the davit arm. This cost $400. The brace was clamped to the vertical post and bolted aft of the cockpit seats, forming a great hand grab point without reducing seating. I test loaded the davits each arm to 500 lbs and found no rail or davit flex. It is now possible to store the dink with the outboard attached. To secure the dink swing I made two pvc pipe "H" forms to fit over the tube of the boat and rest on the underside of the davit arm.... better than my best lash and easy. Dan

M

Mike Thomas

another stiffener idea

Sounds like a good solution, Dan. If I understand correctly, the tubing attaches to the cockpit seats? On the C42's, it is also possible to place a compreession strut to the swim platform seats just outboard of the locker hatches. This winds up being a strut of, I believe 29" in length.

J

joe nelson

need info

I'm currently looking at a Cat. 42 I would like to know if I might be able to see the davit arrangement you've described. I'm in San Diego frequently joenelson@home.com

T

Tom Lincoln

Hand rail and stiffener and motor mount

Check out this solution. Stiffens Stern rail, provides for a neat hand rail and a outboard mount. By John Estes http://www.catalina380.org/photopage-estes.htm

M

matt ezra

Thanks for your responses

Thank you all for your input and suggestions on the rail flex problem. Pete Larson and Dan Smith do you have any pictures of your solution you can send to mattezra@aol.com thanks matt

Status
Not open for further replies.