Stern Rail Seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2009
Catalina C27 Newport, NJ
Hi everyone,

We just bought a 1987 Catalina 27. We would like to add two stern rail seats, and we looked at the ones in the sailboatowners.com store (maybe made by SternPerch? here is the link: http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail-sternperch.htm?fno=20&group=181)

Anyway, those seem to be nice, and get around our double backstay, but it seems like from the picture that you can't use them at the same time as the cockpit cushions. Does anyone know of any way for us to have our cake and eat it too? (i.e. have stern rail seats that go around our double backstay and allow us to use the cockpit cushions?) We have considered a custom back cockpit cushion or modifying the one we have, and custom making the stern rail seats, but are looking to avoid those solutions if possible.

Attached is the picture of the stern rail seats we are/were considering.

Thanks for your help!!

Beck

Attachments

Jun 10, 2009
Catalina C27 Newport, NJ
OR does anyone know if those particular seat poles fit between the cockpit cushions? Doesn't look like it from the picture, but if anyone has any direct experience, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks again.

Beck

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
In my case I made my stern seats out of Starboard (the same material they used) and I built them so the seat support pole, which you must have, was positioned between the cushions. Hopefully you could eyeball the position of the pole with your cushions and see if it would work. You could reposition the support pole to make it fit between the cushions if you wanted to.

My wife loves those seats. If any guest happen to sit there she would think of some excuse to get them to move so she could reclaim her spot!!

Contact me at yankee3223@juno.com and I'll send you a picture of my seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.