Stern fiberglass bulkhead on 25

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
I am trying to strip all hardware to paint and re-bed. I am thinking about cutting a bigger opening to better access the stern hardware. Most of the styrofoam has been removed by previous owner. Since this bulkhead is not structural I see no reason not to cut a large opening. If I decide to put the styrofoam back I could make a new panel to retain it. Thoughts?

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
Thanks for the photos. It must have been when the models changed and they promoted the unsinkability that they added the aft bulkhead to retain the styrofoam. It isn't attached to anything but the sides and floor.

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
Just some guy, in some cases this would do it but to get to everything on the transom one has to craw through this access on the starboard side. See photo. I have been in there once and had trouble getting out. Also the panel is damaged on the port side. No idea how this would happen. I am thinking just cut most of it out and make life easier.
image.jpeg
bb
image.jpeg

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
I have an 85 Mac 25. I needed to access the space aft under the cockpit seats. I removed the "bulkhead" at the after end of the port qtr berth and also a fair amount of the same area on the stbd qtr. It has sure made access much better. I haven't decided if I'll replace the foam with something of higher quality or just keep the space open.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I was just under there replacing the drain from the cockpit to the drain. Don't want to go there again.

I have a cleat on the port side that did not survive a few storms and a hurricane. The plywood backing is missing. I have been trying to figure out how to replace the plywood backing. I think I could remove the nuts but the washers would fall. I have no chance of getting back there to get the washers unless I can catch them as the nuts are removed. I have been considering removing part of the port bulkhead.

Thanks for the information and pictures.

One question. Does the port seat continue to the stern?

Attachments