• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Stern anchor

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
C&C 99 Seattle - Elliot Bay
If you're tight on room would you bother carrying a stern anchor to the San Juans and Gulf Islands? I've got a Fortress FX-16 and about 200 feet of rode that I replaced with a Mantus 25# and 330 ft of rode, I'm debating whether to bring it or not. If I was flush with extra space it would be a no brainer but what do you think with limited space, would it be useful?

Brian

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Yes, you should. I've been in a couple spots in the Gulf Islands where it's needed. Particularly if you get a real blow going at night.

Aug 17, 2013
Granpian G26 Cool whip Ottawa/Gatineau
I always carry a spare anchor on the boat, I once lost one, so a spare is always good to have

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
C&C 99 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Alrighty, that's three for and none against, I guess I'll find room!

@nightowle - could you tell me generally in what situations you used it?

Thanks, Brian

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Catalina C27 Bellingham
I've never used a stern anchor but I have frequently used a stern line ran to shore and made fast to a tree to limit swing in a tight anchorage. For instance the North harbor on Jones island.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto on the use of a stern anchor; never used one. I always carry a spare, but have never used it. As I recall there only two anchorages where I've used a stern tie; Smuggler Cove and Princess Cove. In the future I prefer our main Danforth anchor for holding in PNW waters in all types of weather. Stern tie is okay if calm waters are in the forecast. If a blow, no stern tie here.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I'll add to Terry's coves and that would be Pirates Cove with a lot of boats in it. Take the anchor and rode. You should always carry a second ground tackle setup

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
BTW, stern anchors tend to piss off other boaters. Your boat will not swing with the others so you will take up alot of anchorage room...

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Easystreet Heriot Bay BC
I once went to Tahiti with 7 anchors, and came home with only 5. They are easy to lose. Carry spares.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yes, always a spare anchor. If you havn't snagged or otherwise lost an anchor yet, you haven't been anchoring out enough. I've only lost one, but it would have been ugly not to have had a second.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
If you havn't snagged or otherwise lost an anchor yet, you haven't been anchoring out enough.
Knock on wood here, but have anchored hundreds of times over the years with our trusty 40 pound Danforth and it remains. It has snagged stuff before; water hoses, cables, anchors, anchor chain, etc. In a blow it has a tendency to dig deeper and deeper, making anchor raising the next day a bit of chore, but so far...