Stepping up mast on H25 , use gin pole?

Apr 15, 2023
Hunter H25 Pepin Marina
I am trying to step up mast on my H25 and need tips on accessories to do it. Like, crutch, gin pole, etc.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Many years ago, on my Catalina 27, with hinged mast step, I used two 12-15ft poles as an A-frame. On the cabin top two permanent mounts were installed that allowed the pole's flat ends to be pinned between its sides. The pole top ends were also flat and angled to form the 'A'. A bolt/nut were used to hold them together. Both the back-stay and the main-sheet were connected to the top of the A-frame. When the mast was down the poles were close to vertical. Pulling on the main-sheet caused the A-frame to pivot and raise the mast.

There were a few people who did the same thing with Catalina 30s.... Our boats were on lakes and there were no hoists of any kind.

Apr 15, 2023
Hunter H25 Pepin Marina
Thanks, my mast is 34.8' and I feel I need a roller on a crutch I can raise to 10' at the stern of the boat, to use the main sheet at the forestay cable mount to pull on the forestay to bring it to vertical. Just trying to figure how to fab/install that crutch.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
The masts are the same length. The Cat 27 was hinged to drop forward. The A-Frame provided both leverage and stability. Plus, w/o the A_Frame the stays would initial want to be next to the mast. When the mast was down it rode in carriers both fore and aft. The mast slid forward until its hinged step could be reattached. Apparently your mast hinges the other direction. That does not matter. The basic process is the same either way.