Stepping the mast/ How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Rasmussen

I have just purchased a Columbia 22. The mast is presently down (unstepped). My previous boat was always in the water (west coast) and I never got involved with taking the mast down. Can someone please give me general directions on how to step the mast on this model...or direct me to somplace in the archives (I couldn't find anything). I do know that some people are able to raise the mast by attaching something to the boom...or by building a temporary scaffold. Beyond that I'm at a loss. Thanks for your input.

C

Chris Edmonson

Lots of help...

Try looking at: http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tsarchives6/index.cgi?read=196994,mast,raise or http://bbs.trailersailor.com/search.html Best; Chris

P

Paul Esterle

Mast Raising

See the latest issue of Small Craft Advisor for my mast raising article. (www.smallcraftadvisor.com) Paul

S

Steve Rasmussen

Thanks for the excellent sources!

Thanks for the excellent sources!

M

mark berry

c 22 mast stepping

When I bought my c 22 a year ago, the mast was also down. I was fortunate that my boat yard had a set of scaffolding in front of my boat that was just as high as the deck of the boat. I was also wondering how I could step this without paying someone. This is how I did it. I had two guys stand on the scaffolding and hold the mast off the front of the boat. I lined up the bottom of the mast to where it mounts on the roof. I attached the the front and side stays (cables) for stability while raising. The two guys in front lifted the mast as high as they could. I had a come-along winch attached to a halyard and then to the back of the boat. we tied off the halyard and winched her up. it worked beautifully. Once up, attach the aft stay. This took four guys

B

bill curtin

Putting up the mast

Wow! I have a 23 and have taken the mast down several times for different reasons. It is remarkably easy. I leave the side riggins connected and the rear rigging connected. It is easier with the bow facing into the dock. I have my 13 year old hold the rigging line and I simply walk it up. It's a walk in the park. I lossen the bolt in the mast boot and then tighten it up once the mast is in place. Once it is up right the rear & side riggings give good support. My son holds the bow rigging line tight until I can come forward and fasten it to the bow connection. Hope this helps...it is not so hard. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.