Stepping down the mast on a Seafarer 22

JanS48

Oct 3, 2014
Still Looking 27 Newport RI
Greetings
I've an 85 Seafarer 22, it's still in the water but in a very sheltered area. I'd like to remove the mast. On this model it swings towards the bow. I read one article that described how to lower the mast using the boom as a gin pole. All I have is one other person to lend a hand, I'm a fairly good mechanic but have never lowered the mast before. Is this something that can be done while the boat is in the water (dockside)? Approx. how much does the mast weigh? Any pointers much appreciated.

TIA
Jan

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
Mast Stepping

Greetings
I've an 85 Seafarer 22, it's still in the water but in a very sheltered area. I'd like to remove the mast. On this model it swings towards the bow. I read one article that described how to lower the mast using the boom as a gin pole. All I have is one other person to lend a hand, I'm a fairly good mechanic but have never lowered the mast before. Is this something that can be done while the boat is in the water (dockside)? Approx. how much does the mast weigh? Any pointers much appreciated.

Also - to anyone in New England - this boat is available free, and come with a title and a 5 hp Honda that is old, but still runs like new.

TIA
Jan
There are lots of examples of mast stepping on YouTube, but I've not heard of one that hinges forward. I've owned 2 boats including a 29' Seafarer with hinged mast steps. Here's a link to the YouTube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sailboat+mast+stepping

I'll post a link on the Facebook Seafarer Yacht Group with your info about the free S22. We have the largest group of Seafarer enthusiasts and owners in existence. Someone there may be interested.

James

May 12, 2014
seafarer 26 nfta ,buffalo
Greetings

Also - to anyone in New England - this boat is available free, and come with a title and a 5 hp Honda that is old, but still runs like new.

TIA
Jan
hello i have a 26 ft sailboat, an i step the mast, an unstep the mast by my self.check out utube how to make a jin pole. i made my own out of a 2X4 and some hard ware from the hardware store.but don't know how to use the boom as a jin pole. have a good day.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
A Clipper Marine 26 drops its mast forward. I owned one for many years. I would just release the back stay, loosen the side stays needed and just walk it down on my shoulder. It was not heavy and it was easy!. Chief