Stepping a mast

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Elbow marina, Lake Diefenbaker, Sask.
Just wondering if there is any way to step a mast on a hunter 29.5? We just purchased the boat last fall from Ontario and would like to rig it as soon as we can. We want to be ready to launch as soon as the ice is gone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dale

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I suggest that you hire a crane. The cost to replace a damaged mast and the time to replace the equipment is not worth the risk.

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions . I thought about a gin pole and have seen designs for our Aquarius 23 but have not seen any for larger boats. If you have seen one let me know.
We have a mast step at our marina. However it might be too soft to move the boat over to it right away in spring. I was hoping someone knew of a good system to help us get an early start.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Do you use crane for launching? If yes, then perhaps you could do both same time. Have the crane step the mast, then secure the riggings to tang, temporarily. Launch boat with crane then do on water tuning of riggings.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Make sure your mast plate and wiring are sealed good. With the mast down it is the perfect time.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
It sounds like this is your first time stepping the mast. If so, I would find out what others do at your marina. We, on an Erickson 27, stepped and un-stepped the mast each year on Lake Michigan. We always had professionals do it with a crane. At least for the first time, recommend you get local marina assistance. The mast is heavy and ungainly.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Suggestions

I think the mast is too heavy for a gin pole and seen gin pole on
smaller boats twist and bend like a pretzel.
I remember helping raising a mast on smaller boats was no picnic and some
really bad situations which could have cause damage:eek:
I think maybe for the first time let a crane do it and see just what it's really like.
Nick

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A friend uses this system to raise the mast on his First 260, which has a similar sized mast as your boat. The two telescoping A-frame pole meet at a joint that supports the mast raising block, as well as the forward and aft support lines. He bought his commercially but I made a homebrew version out of aluminum pipe and some hardware. It works really well. The two poles after extended have to be slight above your mast's midway point.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I once helped a friend raised his Maxi77 mast (24footer boat) by using my Mains halyard when his boat is along side mine. We had many hands on deck to steady the mast as it goes up. One person each at shroud and stays to put in the clevis pins. Not elegant but doable.

Mar 11, 2014
peregrine 27 Gore Bay
Hi
I was wondering if you would know the length of your v-berth in the 29.5. I am looking at purchasing 2 9 or a 29.5 and this would help.

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the v Bert, however when I crawled in there it seemed adequate for an average sized couple. Certainly no smaller than the v berth on our Aquarius 23, which was 6' The aft berth however is huge. It is like a long queen size. The table also lowers and will make up into a large double bed.

The interior size and layout was one of the main reasons we chose the 29.5. Also the large windows above the v berth give a open feeling to the cabin. I'll try to attach a couple photos from the survey.

As far as the stepping of the mast, it sounds like I will just need to be patient and use our mast stepping rig when it's dry enough to move her. Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

Jul 6, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Lake Perry
I have a 29.5 and would not suggest stepping the mast yourself, especially the first time. We had a Neptune 24 and stepped and un-stepped the mast many times. That mast was 29 feet and was about 75 pounds. The 29.5 has a 46 foot mast and I would estimate it would weigh at least 200 pounds. A very strong gin pole or crane is a must and watching someone else set it up the first time would really help. It would also probably change your mind about doing it yourself. It did for me.

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Is this a system you purchased or one that came with the boat?