steppin the mast...oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tom b

WHAT I WOUND UP DOING WAS

to attach my winch from the trailer to the forestay, and attach the aft and main stays, then while i lifted the mast part way up, my neighbor cranked on the winch and cranked it, the mast,all the way up while i steadied it from moving side to side, which was very very little,,keep in mind i used a very heavy blanket on the bow so as not to scratch the boat with the winch cable. this worked great!!! i now know that i need to replace some rigging and some halyards before i take the boat anywhere for my first sail..i plan on doing this a few times so i can get it down pat. also i used a long mast support on the stern to aid in mounting the mast in the step, ie keeping the top end up high while guiding it in...as time goes by, i'll be trying some of the ideas given, but for the first time.. this worked out great.... thanx all...dont know how to add a photo,, but will send one of the risen mast if requested,,,

Attachments

T

Troy Baker

not so hard

Hey Tom, raising or lowing doesn't have to be that tough. I have learned from experience, the first in April last year first time on my boat got caught in a snow storm (Montana weather changes every five minutes) I had to have help drive 50+ miles. I then began to practice in my yard at home. I put a small snatch block on the mast cradel on the front of the trailer then I ran a rope that is as twice as long as the mast and then I use the front stay line to attach to the line/rope then I get under the mast and pull and push kind of intidating but it works just make sure the mast is locked into the base plate, practice with afriend and a safety line first! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.