Stem Fitting Sealant

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Rascal, my Capri 22 got into an argument with a Hunter 28.5 and lost. I have to replace the stem fitting since the mangled pulpit also distorted the female downtube socket for the pulpit. What sealant is recommended for this? I've considered butyl tape but wasn't sure if the complex shape would be an issue. Here is a picture of the stem:

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Check Main Sails site. It is great at showing how Butyl will be the best solution for mounting your hardware.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would use butyl or life caulk.

Be sure to visit Maine Sails site on how to properly prep the bolt holes.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Call Hunter yachts customer service for their opinion.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Butyl can work well for stem heads just be sure to tighten slowly multiple times to get the proper "displacement" of the butyl.

Our stem head is considerably more complex and has been bedded with butyl since 1979..

If you want to useable sealant I would suggest Life Calk or Sikaflex 295UV...

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks Maine . . .

I've used the tape before and always put a bead/doughnut around the bolt under the hardware then pushed that down onto the deck. Can't do that here since bolts run at different angles so I suppose I'll put the doughnut around the holes (slightly countersunk); then insert the bolts carefully then tighten. Or will just covering the base completely with the tape accomplish the same thing?