steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2011
seafarer 26 north creek
I would like to change my steering on my seaferar 26 1977 model from tiller to wheel any suggestions

Sep 30, 2010
Seafarer 26 Tampa
My suggestion is don't. Mine has it and I would rather have the tiller now. i loose a lot of cockpit space & it's cumbersome to get around it. Wheel pilots are way more expensive that a tiller pilot if you plan to go it alone. Last the conversion will do nothing for the resale price should you ever put her on the market.

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
Sailboat 87,

I suggest that you contact Edson Technical Support. I had an issue with my wheel steering a couple years ago and found them to be very helpful. They even sent a drawing of my Seafarer 29 wheel steering from their files. Odds are they have the Seafarer 26 on file and can tell you exactly what you need and the cost.

I've had tiller and wheel and much prefer the wheel system. There is more to go wrong when sailing, but you can still use an emergency tiller as backup. It may be cost prohibitive for an older boat, but it is a personal decision. If you want it, go for it.

James

Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
I have used both. My current seafarer 26 has wheel steering. After I got used to it I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.