Steering Wheel Shaft Size

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I was looking for a folding steering wheel and came across a great deal at Defender, it fits a 1" tapered shaft. Do we have a tapered or straight bore shaft on the 310s? Also it is a 32" wheel, is this the best size?

Thanks in advance for info and opinions....

dj

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I found a similar deal there a couple of years ago. I got the 32" wheel with the 1" tapered shaft. I had to buy the 1" straight shaft for it to fit. Defender sells that too for around $80. So figure that into the price.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Are you happy with this wheel? Also, is this the hub I would need?

Lewmar Folding Steering Wheel Hub

Item # : 600960

•Parallel, Straight Bore
•Chrome Cast

Model Number: 85004994 Lewmar Chomed Cast Hub for folding wheel - Parallel, straight bore
$81.9

Cheers

dj

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Just a thought, will the ring from my AutoPilot have any interference with the folding, will the 2 even bolt together properly? Adaptors??

dj

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We love the folding wheel. One of the best upgrades we have done on our boat.

Did a quick write up on our blog.

Yes, that's the same hub. We paid $450 for the wheel and hub. Looks like they have gone up a little in the price.

For the autopilot you need to buy these adapters. And you will need 3 of the kits and only use one part from each kit. You could try to find someone on eBay selling just the 12mm size but I didn't have any luck. So that's another $60 to add to the cost.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Finally got around to ordering the new folding wheel. I have listed the part #s for anyone else that is interested in this upgrade. There are 3 left at Defender, look in the 'specials section'.
Lewmar 32" folding wheel - 614964TAPER - $390
Lewmar wheel hub - 600960 - $81.90
Raymarine wheel drive clamp kit (3) - $56.97
Total - $528.87
Delivery to Canada (Canada Ground UPS) - $58.92
It will be a few months before I install this, I will update at that time.

Cheers

DJ

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Hello all,

Recently made the decision to purchase a folding wheel. Made the purchases recommended by DJ. Got to the boat this weekend and attempted the installation. The mock up went beautifully. The actual installation had a few issues I am still trying to resolve.
First, my boat (2005, hull 299) is equipped with a tapered shaft. So, I will be returning the shaft coupler. Second, it appears that the folding wheel is offset approximately 1/4" forward then the original wheel. Not a problem unless autopilot is installed. So I will need to purchase a new raymarine pedestal mount to extend far enough to hold the wheel mount stationary. Then, there is the issue of aligning the spokes to align and secure the wheel mount.

Any thoughts, advice or ideas on how to address these issues in much appreciated.

Thank you all.

Jay
S/V Doctor's Orders

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I bought my Lewmar folding wheel from Defender years ago, it was on sale because it was
for a tapered shaft and was less than half price.

Bored out to fit shaft and added spacers.

Some time later adapters where available.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Thank you for the photos. They are very helpful to visualize the installation.