Steering Wheel Cover

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Has anyone installed a leather cover on a your steering wheel and low long did it take you? I purchased a new suede steering wheel cover from boatleather.com in May but hesitated to install it as I was overwhelmed with the number of stitches it would require. This week I finally committed and this is how long it took!!

1. ~1 hour to remove old leather cover and adhesive.
2. ~1 hour to fit and cut 4 leather sections with a razor against a straight edge for each folding wheel section.
3. ~8.5 hour stitching time for my 40 inch diameter with stitching up ~1004 holes spaced 1/4 inch apart on each side of the leather cover based on 1 minute to stitch 2 holes at a time (one on each side) including carefully pulling all the waxed whipping twine through both holes while keeping the twine from knotting up.

If you do this project a leather sailmaker's palm glove to push the needle through the holes and a small spring-loaded needle nose pliers to pull the twine through, if required, helps.

hhttp://boatleather.com/product/boatleather-wheel-covers/

1593881182156.png

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Has anyone installed a leather cover on a your steering wheel and low long did it take you? I purchased a new suede steering wheel cover from boatleather.com in May but hesitated to install it as I was overwhelmed with the number of stitches it would require. This week I finally committed and this is how long it took!!

1. ~1 hour to remove old leather cover and adhesive.
2. ~1 hour to fit and cut 4 leather sections with a razor against a straight edge for each folding wheel section.
3. ~8.5 hour stitching time for my 40 inch diameter with stitching up ~1004 holes spaced 1/4 inch apart on each side of the leather cover based on 1 minute to stitch 2 holes at a time (one on each side) including carefully pulling all the waxed whipping twine through both holes while keeping the twine from knotting up.

If you do this project a leather sailmaker's palm glove to push the needle through the holes and a small spring-loaded needle nose pliers to pull the twine through, if required, helps.

hhttp://boatleather.com/product/boatleather-wheel-covers/

View attachment 181917
The best part is, that it will last for probably 15, maybe 20, yr. Half a day’s work for a few thousand days of enjoyment. Sounds good to me!:dancing: A much better deal than most retirement packages.

Feb 21, 2013
Kings Gambit...............you are correct!! Installed one on my 2004 Hunter 386 and after 10 years it looked like new mainly because I protected it from the elements with a binnacle cover. The previous owner did not have a binnacle cover to protect the compass, instruments and wheel from the elements so when I purchased the boat a year and half I immediately installed a binnacle cover, replaced all the sun-damaged instrument covers, bow thruster controller and rebuilt the crazed compass (could not even read the compass). Replacing the wheel cover was the last repair. Looks like new!!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
SO WHAT IS A GOOD CLEANER FOR THE LEATHER COVER?
I’ve always wondered too - have tried suede cleaners to do avail and end up using soap and water which isn’t very effective. Hope someone has a better answer

Jan 15, 2014
Morgan 323 Portland
I can appreciate the esthetics and feel of leather. But, I went with dark brown paracord. Rather than doing complex and time consuming knots (that would just create uncomfortable bulges) I simply wrapped it around over and over ending with a fancy knot down thre center spoke. Looks beautiful, costs nothing, lasts a long time, dries readily, feels comfortable...

Feb 21, 2013
Justin_NSA........................what material type (paracord 550?), diameter size (3 mm?) and did you use a 550 Paracord Lacing Stitching Needle to tie the Turks Head knot?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin_NSA........................what material type (paracord 550?), diameter size (3 mm?) and did you use a 550 Paracord Lacing Stitching Needle to tie the Turks Head knot?
I can't take credit for mine. A P.O. installed it. I've seen some good you tube videos on tying them.

Feb 21, 2013
Justin_NSA..........thanks!! I seen a couple of youtube videos that are easy to follow so will buy 3 mm paracord 550 and a 550 Paracord Lacing Stitching Needle for this project next.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
I bought a whole hide, cut, punched, and sewed it. Took forever but was a lot of fun! I'll post some photos of my project.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I added leather to my Oday 34 this past spring, It was a kit from (name omitted) I brought the wheel home and hung it from the basement ceiling so I could work at eye level in a protected environment. It did take me over 8 hours, but as many have pointed out, It will last for a long time and the "feel" of the leather vs. the "cold skinny" stainless was worth the money and time. We sold the Oday in July and bought a Catalina 350 in with a "cold skinny" stainless steel wheel. I bought a (name omitted) folding wheel and went from 36" to 40" with leather already perfectly factory installed. The added size made a huge difference in reach and comfort when helming from the side while the added size was a non-issue with the folding capabilities when stored. I found the wheel as (name omitted) "renewed" for a little over $500 with free shipping and free returns, when it arrived the only thing wrong with it was damage to the exterior shipping box otherwise it was perfect. I am a happy, thrifty camper.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I prefer line; leather doesn't absorb as much sweat and is not as warm in the winter. It lasts only 10 years or so, because that's when you give up trying to keep it clean. Takes a little over an hour, using rubber-faced gloves for grip.

I've also done other stainless railings that seemed too slippery when sweaty.

My motivation was actually my delivery trip over Christmas. A stainless wheel is so cold, I did it the night be fore we left, after dinner. Then again, 10 years later when I sold the boat. It was not worn, only stained.