Steering very stiff

Jan 10, 2012
Hunter 326 Ras Al Khaimah
Hi all,
I am just in the process of moving from my Macgregor 26m to a 2003 Hunter 326.
There are various issues I'm getting rectified but overall it's in great condition and wow doesn't it sail SO much better than the Macgregor!
One thing that is troubling me however is the wheel steering seems unusually stiff to turn. It's smooth and works ok but seems to take considerably more effort to turn it than any other boat I've been on. The steering brake mechanism was fully released so that didn't seem to be the culprit.
Should I be worried? Is this a known problem? Is there something I should be looking for?
I understand the boat lost its rudder last year and a factory replacement has been fitted. Could that have been done incorrectly?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Without being there to see the force required to move the rudder, I'd say yes there is a problem. With our 310 which is noted for sailing at anchor (along with every other Hunter) the wheel is always moving unless locked. That give you an idea of how little force is required.

You might try working backwards from the steering wheel gears and start disassembling joints to find out where the major resistance occurs but it's most likely at the rudder post. It's then time to haul out and see whats causing the friction back there.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe the wheel brake is not actually "released" on the shaft?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I had a similar problem w/ my Bavaria when purchased "preowned." The previous owner had not sailed the boat much. The tube that encloses the rudder post had gotten a lot of deposit inside which was constricting (squeezing) the Delrin rudder-post bearing. Very hard to turn the wheel. Took it to the yard. After a weekend of soaking in lubricant that filled the tube, they had to hammer out the rudder post, pull off the bearing; clean and lube everything, and then reinstall. It's been fine since. The good news was that I did not have to buy a new bearing. But if yours was replaced last year, then that might not be the problem.

Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for the answers. I'm in the late buying stage and it's being hauled out in a couple of weeks for inspection and antifouling. I'll get it checked then. I'm just trying to preempt the "oh all Hunters are like that" answer.
Mike

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Mine has a "strain relief" adjustable tensioner. I didn't see it for 2 years.
I adjusted it too tight, then too loose.

Mine is located in the helm pedestal.
Jim...

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Coming in one evening I suddenly had a really tough time steering. Turned out to be a similar story to King Gambit's. It was a little pricy but fixed and fine now.

Jan 10, 2012
Hi all,
Sorry I forgot to update you. Had the local dealer haul the boat out and they removed the rudder shaft and found it very slightly bent. After adjustment and refitting is now very much better.
Regards
Mike