Steering ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Last year I bought a 1988 30 which was in exceptional shape. The one thing that bothers me about this boat is the steering. To me it is vague which contributes to over steering. My previous boat, a Hunter 28.5, was much more responsive and I really liked the handling. I know that the Catalina may not be quite as responsive but changing the internal sprocket to more teeth would allow for quicker steering. Has anybody done this on their 30? I really like the boat otherwise and am very happy with my purchase.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Why not mark the wheel with an ornamental knot at neutral helm and then use that as a point of reference when you put the helm over. It seems that would be simpler and less expensive than changing the gear ratio.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
...changing the internal sprocket to more teeth would allow for quicker steering.
What sprocket? In the pedestal? I fail to see how that could help. I think the only realistic thing you can do to change the steering performance is to change the rudder to a different design, or to revert to a tiller.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Steering

Yes you can change the sprocket. The stock setup has 11 teeth, you can go to 13 or 15. Changing the number of teeth will reduce lock to lock thereby making the steering quicker albeit will increase pressure on the wheel by 10-15%. according to Edson.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yes you can change the sprocket. The stock setup has 11 teeth, you can go to 13 or 15. Changing the number of teeth will reduce lock to lock thereby making the steering quicker albeit will increase pressure on the wheel by 10-15%. according to Edson.
Interesting. Can you please provide a link to the Edson info?

Status
Not open for further replies.