Steering Quadrant Access Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2006
- - Middle River, MD
I am replacing the cockpit floor access panel to my steering quadrant. Unattended cracks by the previous owner in the gelcoat have allowed water in and has rotted the wood core. Does anyone knows if there is a drain somewhere in that steering quadrant housing to allow for accumulated water to to exit? When I took the panel off, the housing was half full of water. When I reinstall the new panel, would a bead of caulk around the perimeter be a good idea?

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
Drain

On our '88 Catalina 30, there is a small drain hole connected to a hose that drains the steering quadrant (actually radial) enclosure. It's in the center of the aft wall of the enclosure which means it's usually not visible since it's hidden by the steering radial itself. This often becomes clogged and can even be almost invisible if there's enough crud in the steering enclosure. We poked around with a wire until we were able to clear the drain. I didn't seal our cover with caulk. Instead, I put in some small weather stripping that helps keep much of the water out. The main fix is keeping the drain hole and hose clear so any water quickly drains out. Regards, Gary Kunkel

Jun 4, 2004
- - Long Beach, NY
Keeping the compartment dry

I agree, it is very difficult to keep the very small drain clear. As a result the compartment tends to fill up with water. On my 89 I have elected not to seal as I like to check the tension of the cables on a regular basis. As recently as yesterday I used a wire snake and a solid tip nozzle to "blow out" the debris that likes to collect in the hose. I also feel some water is getting in to the aft berth because of this water build up.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Reverse unclogging

I have a small slit in the back of my Quadrant access area because of my rudder sensor for my Raymarine S1 autohelm. I noticed that I had a clogged drain in the quadrant. I used a shop vac and sucked the water and the clog out of the rear part of the drain. I did end up cleaning the area a little. What would make sence would be a rubber gasket to make a water tight seal in the pannel.

Status
Not open for further replies.