Steering cable Oceanis 351

Status
Not open for further replies.

redege

Jun 29, 2012
beneteau oceanis 351 queensland
This happened 6 month ago, but I thought I'd share this with you.
Coming back through the Seaway in 15 knot wind and 2.5 meter swell, fighting the massive current, my boat suddenly aimed for the rocks. My steering was not responding. The rudder kept me in a full starboard turn as the engine was going full blast. I noticed that the engine kept me in a starboard turn, so decided not to reduce the throttle. The waves were not fun. I remembered the previous owner saying about emergency rudder, and that we would probably never need that. I grabbed the winch handle and opened the emergency rudder cap. Opened the cockpit locker where the emergency rudder handle was (on top). Put the emergency rudder in place with a bit of force, and was glad to see that I could bring the boat under control. Meantime we had done at 2 and a half full circles in the seaway, close to the rocks, with big swell throwing us around. It was the worst place and scenario where this could have happened. I feel lucky and a more seasoned sailor for it. Coming back to port I assessed what had happened to be the steering cable coming of the drum at the rudder. It took me 5 minutes to put back on and adjust the tension, so that it won't happen again. I think with the swell and the tide there was great pressure on the rudder and the boat. This may have caused the boat to flex a bit, just enough for the cable to come off.
So, as a word of advice, check your steering cable periodically, and most importantly, keep your emergency rudder handy at all times. you will never know when you need it!

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Glad you had a clear mind to remember the emergency tiller. It is in these times when our brains don't work normally!
Glad everyone made it home safely!

Status
Not open for further replies.