Steaming Light Replacement Question

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Anyone have a 2009 Hunter 38 that knows what replacement bulb is necessary for the steaming light? It is the original steaming light and I'm wanting to replace it with an LED light. I found the anchor light LED replacement but having issues with the steaming light. Any help is so much appreciated!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I can't help with the type of bulb, but I have to ask - "Why replace?" When you are motoring you have gobs of power. So the primary advantage of the LED is moot. Unless you find the incandescent bulb to be unreliable and require frequent replacement, why bother?

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
LED is far much more brighter at night than the standard bulb. This is the reason. I'm just looking for the replacement bulb so I can find the LED replacement. LED is B.R.I.G.H.T.E.R. :) Which equals better visibility to other boaters keeping us a little safer at night.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Take a look at the Hunter 38 parts page on SBO site.
Here is the navigation lights page Hunter 38 Nav Lights Parts
There are two different steaming light fixtures shown. My 2008 has the combination deck / steaming light fixture that is the one of the bottom left of the page.

If you ask the SBO store guys I’d be willing to bet that they can identify the bulb for you.

As other poster suggested, I chose to not do LED for steaming light at this time. I was more focused on lights that would be on when the engine is not. Like running and anchor.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I was more focused on lights that would be on when the engine is not.
Makes sense, but from my perspective it made more sense to replace the incandescent bulb that has a useful life of maybe a few months, to an LED bulb that will outlast my life of use.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
:) Which equals better visibility to other boaters keeping us a little safer at night.
Perhaps. But the light should not be so bright as to impair your own visibility looking out on very dark nights, especially in mist. There are also higher wattage replacements to get greater brightness with the filament bulb you have now.

The point of the steaming light is to inform other boats that you are motoring and not sailing. In which case, you might immediately assume more burden in a crossing situation. Just be sure YOU can see THEM, and that you know what their lights mean so you can be in compliance with the COLREGS. That's the way to "be safe."

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I probably should have stated in my original post that for whatever reason my steeming light and deck light are so dim and need to be replaced, regardless if it’s LED or OEM.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Makes sense, but from my perspective it made more sense to replace the incandescent bulb that has a useful life of maybe a few months, to an LED bulb that will outlast my life of use.
Oh for sure - agree with that although my steaming light is 11 years old now and it’s still the original bulb. Just don’t do that much night sailing.

So Pumpkinpie check out SBO store. Here is the fixture that is in my 2008 38
Hunter 38 steaming/deck light
And if you contact the SBO guys they will I’m sure get you the LED replacement bulb size and have it shipped to you. They are terrific that way

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Your issue, if the light is "dim" (but working) MAY be: i) a bad electrical connection which reduces the current to the bulb -- i.e., it's "dimmed"; or, ii) the lens has been yellowed by UV degradation or is just dirty (less likely).

In my experience, an incandescent bulb isn't necessarily less bright than an LED light. I think old fashioned incandescent bulbs are more "forgiving" in terms of compromised electrical connections, and moisture.

We replaced all of our Nav lights with LED's EXCEPT for our combo steaming and foredeck light. This year, after 21 years, the steaming bulb gave-out and we replaced it.

Our NAV Lights are Hella's, I think they are the most durable and sealed the best.