Staysail sheeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
My 37C staysail sheet comes down the port gunwale to a cleat mounted on the outer side of the cockpit. Upwind in a blow it is impossible to sheet it tight enough without a winch to reduce twist and leech flutter to a reasonable level. Other than vanging the jibboom, any creative solutions to address this issue? I have effectively put the sheet on the self tailing primary winch but then if I want to use the yankee on starboard tack I am snookered. Has anyone added a staysail sheet winch?
Please don't tell me all about traveller adjustment. I grew up racing high performance dinghies and have done all that.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
That was one of my first mods. I ran my staysail sheet to the port cabin roof winch. My mainsheet used to run forward under the boom and then back to that winch. The actual first change was for new fiddle blocks, one with a cam cleat, to keep the mainsheet in the cockpit. That freed up that winch. Then I ran the staysail sheet back over the cabin roof to that winch. Even with that I think a Hoyt boom or maybe some kind of a vang is necessary. You can only really prevent it lifting when it is in tight.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
Have you thought about traveller adjustment?

Seriously, I have a cam cleat on top of the cockpit coaming, so I can brace my knee, haul away and drop into cam. Somes times when I can't sheet in enough, I will tack and haul in when head to wind - but you probably already know that solution.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Running the sheet up over the coachroof does add a lot of friction and bends but then that is compensated by the winch. Not a bad idea, Ed. I think the cam cleat on the coaming is an improvement over the horned cleat, and is far faster to blow. Keep the ideas coming!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My staysail sheet originally ran down the starboard side. But I actually have less friction and bends. My staysail sheet does not go forward under the boom. It comes off the bottom of the fiddle to a standing block at the mast base. Then through a deck organizer and back to the winch. Most of the time I can easily trim without the winch. The picture is not my boat but rigged the same way.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.