stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew

We just purchased a ranger 26, and it seems to have the original stays for the mast still on it, after 30 some years It seems like they would be worn out. Anyone have any advice or experience on how long or how often they they need to be replaced

May 20, 2004
Ranger 23 Sequim WA
Standing rigging

Hi Drew, My R-23 is also 30 yrs old (Happy Birthday "Blew Bayou")and her original (I believe) stays and shrouds seem to be in fine condition. Good enough to have raced in all sorts of weather, anyhow! I probably would replace them before I did, say, a Transpac, but since I'm not contemplating such, the point is mute. Riggers, bless them, will tell you to replace all standing rigging nearly as often as you change your socks, but while prudent, it's not always neccessary. However, that said it's a good idea to carefully inspect every inch. Chainplates, clevis pins and all connections too. Swage fittings are prone to cracks that can barely be seen and turnbuckles corrode and stick. You may need help if you don't know what to look for. Climate and exposure to salt can accelerate wire rope/swage damage, but just because s/s surface has turned brown does not (IMHO) mean it's wasted. Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.