Stay Sail Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Durham

I purchased my Ranger last spring and spent the spring,summer,and early fall with the boat on the hard (lots of work required but worth it). I relaunched in October and didnt get to much time before the snow flew. I have been attempting to fly my stay sail this spring but I have questions as to where it should be placed and when it should be used. Does anyone have information on where the stay sail should be rigged on a R-32? Any other info on rigging for this series of Ranger is helpful(spinnaker). Thanks Jason

May 20, 2004
Ranger 23 Sequim WA
Staysails and more

Hi Jason, There are several different sails that qualify as stay sails. On a IOR type design like yours, and presuming it to be race rigged, it could be a tallboy which is a tall narrow footed sail that tacks about 40%J fwd of the mast, usually to windward of the centerline, to redirect wind around the mainsail or it could be a spinnaker staysail which is a fairly short hoist, wider foot sail meant to fill the space under the spinnaker. This sail is usually hoisted on a halyard just above the spinnaker pole lift block and tacks to the deck on a track usually set about 60%J fwd. These were popular racing sails once but seldom used anymore. Your spinnaker should have its own halyard (or two) on a bail at the mast crane. It is usually hoisted at the mast on a boat your size. If the pole has two similar end fittings, it is probably suspended on the pole lift halyard from a bridle, and similarly restrained to the deck block by the foreguy. Spinnaker sheets are run to turning blocks near the transom to the secondary winches. There is no "standard" rigging for these type of boats, as much depends on owners preferences, but you'll see a general theme among them all. Talk to a sailmaker or rigger. If its not a race rigged boat forget all the previous!! Hope this helps. Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.