Stay At Home projects: Lanyards and Helm Wheel Wrap

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Since, like everyone else, I'd have plenty of time to complete some of those projects on my "Would Be Nice" list, I started playing with Paracord braiding.
First up was making wrist lanyards for my boat and rigging knives. I followed some basic instructions, then would braid up a lanyard, take it apart and make it again a little different until I liked the result. This was also a good time to inventory my boat and home knives as I like folders and some were getting rusty.
Here is that result:
IMG_0051.jpeg

My next project was soft shackles. While talking to my buddy @jssailem about soft shackles I mentioned I couldn't find a ceramic blade foldable rigging knife. Next thing I knew he gifted me one. This knife has ceramic blade, stainless marlinspike and SS body. It is a work of art. Here's a close up:
IMG_0053.jpeg

Soft shackles got put on hold when I decided to wrap my helm wheel. I tried a few methods and braids, different cords and researched different knots.
I asked here on the forum and @sail sfbay responded with a link to a thread on how to do a Turks Head knot at a spoke position. That solved one of my main problems. Many thanks to him.
I ended up using Paracord 550 to wrap the wheel and Paracord 425 to do the Turks Head knots. I wanted small knots at the spokes, wanted to mark port and starboard and a larger Turks Head knot for the center position. Here is the result:
IMG_0043.jpeg IMG_0045.jpeg IMG_0046.jpeg

Soft shackles are up next but now I'm scheduled to launch this Friday so back working on the boat for now.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Love it @Ward H ! I need to do that center knot to my wheel which PO already wrapped!

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Doesn’t the blue wrapping on the wheel clash with the autopilot trim color? You should probably change it. ;)

• Helpful
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Ward,
Great results.
Just purchased some paracord and attempted to practice a turks head on a piece of pvc pipe; however, not looking good.
Will have to work on this a bit more! Goal is to place a Turks head at the center wheel position. If worse comes to worse, the piece of electrical tape on the center spoke (that's been there for 10 years) will have to suffice!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Next up.... a new strap for the base you have hanging on the wall?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i never preferred the twine wrap on my wheel but i hate no wrap at all. i love the elk hide covering i have, it's 36 years old now. does anyone know how to put elk hide on a steering wheel?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
i never preferred the twine wrap on my wheel but i hate no wrap at all. i love the elk hide covering i have, it's 36 years old now. does anyone know how to put elk hide on a steering wheel?
No but here is one way to put deer hide on a carburetor... Audubon Style.:thumbup:

1588008329768.png

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
elk hide covers come w holes punched in the edges and you use a 'shoelace ' stitch to sew the edges together. my elkhide wheel cover put on in 1980 was in fine shape when i sold the boat in 2005. the one put on in 1996 is still in fine shape. if and when an elkhide starts to wear, save the usable sections to use as antichafe on your mooring lines.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
You might want to begin by skinnin the elk first. lol
1589453213296.png

in this photo you can see that the elk hide cover is going bad. PJ's had a lady that covered all the steering wheels on the vessels they built. she's passed on now. the elk stands up to the weather nicely. my cover is over 35 yrs old, it's time for a fresh hide. elk is the best wheel cover ever, wet or dry. i do not like bare metal, slippery. i don't like wrapped in twine, cuts the skin.
funny enough, a good friend and regular crew raises elk on his farm outside toledo. i can get the hide. ( ground up elk antler is worth big money in asia, sex booster, and the local restaurants buy the meat}
elk is the best i have found.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Excellent post Ward! My wheel will need wrapping soon. The leather Is wearing.
Is that your new helm seat?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Can you share a link to a proper turks head knot? Your wheel looks great. I wrapped the wheel with paracord but I don’t like the way my Turks head knot came out.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Can you share a link to a proper turks head knot? Your wheel looks great. I wrapped the wheel with paracord but I don’t like the way my Turks head knot came out.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Here is the link I was given when I asked I Need A Knot.
That thread gave me some good info and led me to this site. Turks Head Knot
You might want to go back to page one of that site and start at the beginning but the page I linked to shows the how to tie the knot I used.

Justin, I wish.:biggrin:

• Helpful