State of California to charge “Air Tax”

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sacramento, 4/1/2016.

From the Governors Office

The State of California has implemented a new tax to take effect immediately. The new tax, known as the Air Tax is applied to sailing vessels state wide. The new tax was the brain child of the advocacy group, Motor Boater or the US, in response to high fuel taxes. MBUS had indicated that sailboater do not use fuel as much as motor boaters so therefore do not pay fuel taxes. The governor’s office, mostly motor boat owners, agreed.

The new tax will be based on number of miles sailed times boat speed at a rate of .3 cents per nautical mile, times the number of sails and the sail area divided by the horse power rating of the inboard engine. Boats with outboard engines will pay 1.5% more per the number of blades on the propeller. Sailboats will be required to install a tax gauge which will be connected to the navigation sensors. This information will be uploaded to cell towers along the coast and a monthly bill will be mailed to the residence of the sailboat owner.

Happy April Fools Day

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
I also read that the state is hiring truck divers to deliver the sailboat fuel necessary for this tax to work.

Feb 17, 2006
That is correct. They will be importing the sailboat fuel from Washington DC where there is a surplus of hot sailboat fuel.

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
I read about it on Facebook so it must be true. There was even a photo!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The truth is often stranger than fiction. You should remain cautious. Our present leaders believe on good event should go to political waste. You may have just opened an opportunity for they who sit inside the marble halls wondering how they can get all the money so that the government can redistribute it to those in need.

And just like the Godfather, wet their beak, for being the nice helpful folks they are....

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
The only reason California doesn't have a bull$#!t tax is that the 90% of it would come from Sacramento.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The new tax will be based on number of miles sailed times boat speed at a rate of .3 cents per nautical mile, times the number of sails and the sail area divided by the horse power rating
Wait, isn't that only the rate if you're using the 10% ethanol infused air? You'll have to pay extra for the pure air that doesn't deteriorate your sails.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Good one... I forgot it was April 1st for a moment.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Wait, isn't that only the rate if you're using the 10% ethanol infused air? You'll have to pay extra for the pure air that doesn't deteriorate your sails.
pure ayre
is expensive enough now @ .50 cents an ounce ........ but still cheaper than scotch or blended whisky

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
The "air tax" is similar to the "weather tax" that we have here in CA, which is a nice way of saying that a 800 square-foot house in Long Beach, CA costs you about $700k. Or so. Assuming you're willing to live in a "transitional neighborhood".

As you were, SBO.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'm with Peggie, do not give these guys any ideas. They are experts on getting tax revenue out of thin air.

Feb 17, 2006
I am glad some of you remembered it was April 1st, and you read the tiny fine print under my post. :)

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
The truth is often stranger than fiction. You should remain cautious. Our present leaders believe on good event should go to political waste. You may have just opened an opportunity for they who sit inside the marble halls wondering how they can get all the money so that the government can redistribute it to those in need.

And just like the Godfather, wet their beak, for being the nice helpful folks they are....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yeah.. kinda like the taxes being considered for electric vehicles..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just walk around the marina fuel dock complaining of the high cost of fuel. Let it be known that it cost you all of $25 to top of your tank after two months and watch the frown on them power boaters.