Starting issue post fuel filters change

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Just did my end of season fuel filters change and am having an issue starting engine. (Universal M25XPB). The engine turns but doesn’t kick on. I’ve triple checked that everything is on tight and that the fuel lines are open. The fuel lift pump is new this season, so that should not be an issue. I’m at half a tank of gas, so will fill up as I know our boats are temperamental in that area, but would appreciate any thoughts.

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Not a typo - fuel dock at Marina is down and I just ran engine for 10 hours getting it back from Lewes DE to Baltimore.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Universal is a diesel engine.
Putting in GAS... could be a reason for the lack of starting and have no involvement with the filter change.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Diesel/gas confusion aside, crack open the injectors to ensure fuel flow to each cylinder. Diesels need only fuel and air to run and I assume the latter isn’t the problem.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good luck.
On my Perkins, i need to get diesel out the #2 cylinder to know it is ready to start.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Just did my end of season fuel filters change and am having an issue starting engine. (Universal M25XPB). The engine turns but doesn’t kick on. I’ve triple checked that everything is on tight and that the fuel lines are open. The fuel lift pump is new this season, so that should not be an issue. I’m at half a tank of gas, so will fill up as I know our boats are temperamental in that area, but would appreciate any thoughts.
Are you holding the key switch all the way on for 30 seconds or so, before cranking the engine? Your engine is self bleeding, and it should start right up after the lift pump has been on for a while.