Starting at age 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
[bought my first boat at 49. A 12' Penguin. Sailed it for a year, then moved up to a 37' Irwin. Wish I did this years ago, but I am happy to say I have 10 years under my belt. I love it!

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Well I've had a boat starting at age 12 with a raft, owned all kinds of boats growing up and bought my first Sailboat at age 62, I'm 65 now and still Sailing.:dance:

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
We started at 55 in 2000 on a Hunter 26. In Sept 2001 my wife said that if we sold the house we could do this full time. We sold the house the summer of 2002 and loaded the car and headed cross country to Florida to find a boat. In Sept 2002 we bought a 38' Island Packet and moved aboard. The next 2 and 1/2 years were the most fun we've ever had. A previous med condition I thought I'd beat returned and we had to return and be adults again.
We still sail 3 or 4 times a week from mid April through the end of Sept. on a San Juan 23.
After all we've done in life that was the craziest, greatest adventure of all. Sailing and racing with the grandkids now a days is a very close second.
Don't wait or just keep dreaming. JUST GO while you can.
Ray & Reba

Stroh

Nov 12, 2009
Laguna 22 1987 Burnt Store Isles
59 here, got my first sailboat (1987 Laguna 22, boat motor and trailer for $3,500.00) last year. Been around and loved the water all my life, have had several power boats over the years.

My plan is to retire to Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area of Florida within the next 5 years. Decided I couldn't afford to power boat around on social security so sailing was the salvation. Figured I'd get something cheap I could learn on and see if the wife and I liked sailing, plus if I sank it no great loss. No lessons yet but I plan to. Sailing on inland lake here in Ohio last two summers getting to know sailing and reading all the magazines and this forum, learning a lot and really enjoying it.

Looking forward to selling the house & the business, buying a home on the water and a 38' or so and living the dream in a few years.

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
I sailed on little sailing dinghies when I was in my early 20s but didn't sail again until I bought myself a 30' Catalina for my 60th birthday as a present to myself. We now have a Catalina 36 and I love sailing it as well as maintaining it.
One issue: Five years or so ago, my knees were starting to give out - arthritis in the knees, basically brought on by years of working in construction. I've changed my diet - basically stopped eating sweetened foods as well as refined flour, white rice, etc. That's made a huge difference. Everybody is different, but this might help for others too.

Ed H

Sep 15, 2010
Hunter 33_77-83 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
I took sailing lessons at Rock Hall, Maryland 27 years ago. Did some chartering in the Chesapeake Bay every couple of years and now, at age 55, just bought first boat- a Hunter 33. Can't wait for Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.