Starting Alden Challenger Big Refit Project

Jul 26, 2010
Hello the room,

I am the fortunate new owner of a 1961 Alden Challenger, hull 949CC, which has been quietly sitting on jackstands in an Annapolis boatyard for almost 2 decades. THe boat is now sitting in my side yard near the Hudson RIver, NY, with a giant tent structure over it for this fall and winter. I hope to do a major rebuild this fall and winter, relaunch next summer, then haul out, continue repairs and maybe some modifications for offshore sailing next winter (before the money runs out?). Every piece of wood on the boat needs refinishing, the interior needs to be reassembled, interior was stripped to bare hull chasing leaks (but all the lovely panelling and trim wood was numbered and saved), there are tons of questions such as how to clean out the diesel tanks, what to do about giant cracks in the rudder, how can I get all these fitting off the cabin roof and deck to start epoxy repairs, prime and repaint cabin top and deck, and what about running the halyards to the cockpit so I can sail it shorthanded? In short, I have a wopper of a project, and I'm going in.

Any Challenger boats nearby I could look at for ideas and inspiration? Anybody want to do some varnishing and beer drinking this winter?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Welcome Hudsonchallenger. Things look a little slow here but much of what you need is here in past threads and current experience. Is your challenger listed in the reference thread? You'll have to get some photos going so we can see what you're up to. I look forward to your project. Tom in Rockport Maine.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Hi Hudson Challenger, just found you (see my question on your oil change thread). I would love to update her entry in the "List" thread (at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169). You can "PM" me if you'd rather... Iain

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
The nicely restored Challenger "Compass Rose" is in Stonington, CT. The owner is Peter Gillie. Unfortunately, he is passed the age of Blogging. I will try to get his contact info to you. He is always in the water by mid-April however and would be happy to give you a tour.