starting a Catalina 310 sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ

May 4, 2008
Catalina 310 Fairhaven
When I turn the key to start my 2001 Catalina 310, i get a screeching sound from the alarm speaker. Not a real alarm sound. My water and oil lights barely go on.
Should I get the full alarm sound and both lights on bright?
thanks

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Is it a beeping and does the engine start?

What is your battery voltage?

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
On my 2001 the wire on the oil sending unit on the port side of the engine comes off and I get that same sound.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The way the circuit is designed is really quite clever.
When you first turn on the key the alarm should sound because it is getting it's ground from the low impedance of the non operating fuel lift pump. When you press the start button and the engine turns, the oil pressure switch closes when the oil pressure becomes 5 psi or greater. Current is now delivered from the bat. through the key switch to the fuel pump. The closure of the oil pressure switch also places +12 volts on either side of the alarm silencing it. The same circuit also controls the lo-oil light. If the oil pressure switch is not connected, than the alarm will continue to sound even after the engine has started. The engine will run without the fuel pump operational if your fuel tank is 3/4 or more full because of gravity feed, so beware.
The bottom line is it should sound when the key is on and the engine is not running. Why you are getting a screech sound instead of a normal alarm sound is most likely due to low voltage, check all your connections. Also check the shovel connector at the fuel lift pump. If it is corroded the alarm circuit will not sound correctly or weak because it is not sinking the current thought the fuel pump.
A water light? My control panel has a gauge for water temp.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I stand corrected it does have a "Hi-Temp" water light. It's funny when I kill the engine when the engine is hot the buzzer beeps instead of constantly sounding like when it is cold. Looking at the schematic again I believe the "C" input to the buzzer may be responsible for the pulsing from the hi temp switch. Why it would be opening and closing when the engine is hot and not running is strange. Does anyone else have this behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.