Start Battery Test Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Attached is a picture of the Parallel Start/Charge Circuit Panel located under the nav station seat on my Hunter 38. Does anyone know what the "Start Battery Test" breaker is for? The manual says nothing about this.

Attachments

JWC

Aug 28, 2011
Hunter 40 Phuket
From the picture it almost looks like it is an optional pop up breaker for an additional piece of equipment that has not been installed. Compare it to the bilge breaker and others that clearly show a black button in the white circle. Looks a bit unusual for the parallel function of the start/house batteries too with the breakers for each which when set would combine the batteries. Eg as pictured with both breakers (above battery switches) closed as pictured might suggest your batteries are combined at all times.
See the link for heaps more info on the subject. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/236454

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I'd be interested in this too. We bought our 2008 38 brand new in 2009 and both breakers were closed. I assumed this was how they were supposed to be. Maybe not?

If someone on the thread doesn't have the definitive answer I will have to call the dealers service department. The guys at Racine Riverside Marine remain terrific at offering help and support.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Curiosity got the better of me and I called the service manager.

Me said on the test button, he has no idea what its for so don't worry about it.

On the parallel start / charge breakers he said that in general depending on the boat they should be closed. There is a solenoid between them that allow activates when the engine is charging that allows input to the batteries. If the breakers are open that solenoid won't activate.

There should be a schematic on this on the back of the access panel and in the owners manual. Although I'm a big manual reader and use mine for winter reading every year ( I know sad) and I've never seen anything on this.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Book suggestion

JWC - Downloaded the book you suggested - I really enjoyed it - very practical with general info and funny at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There should be a schematic on this on the back of the access panel and in the owners manual. Although I'm a big manual reader and use mine for winter reading every year ( I know sad) and I've never seen anything on this.

Good idea to call the service manager.

Just wondering: wouldn't you be interested in tracing what it really is and drawing a wiring diagram? I did when we bought our boat and found the wiring diagram the PO left me was incorrect in many important aspects, and I also drew some details of what was behind a few other places. It really helped me understand how to run the boat electrically and was critical to our upgrades done over the course of the years.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Echo Charger Purpose

quadrille38 - Thanks for checking with your dealer - mine went bankrupt but was never any help re service questions anyway. You are lucky

Stu - fully agree - I looked at the wiring schematics and the actual wiring of my panel and checked how it all operates with a multimeter last weekend.

On my unit, the solenoid connecting the parallel start / charge breakers is open when the ignition key is off and closed when the key is on. When the engine is running, the alternator charges the starter battery directly always regardless of the breaker position. When both switches are on and the ignition key is on, the house and starter batteries and starter are connected for starting. When both switches are on and the engine is running, both the start and house batteries are being charged by the alternator with the same voltage. If the house switch is off, the house battery does not see the alternator when the engine is running.

When docked with shore power and the engine off, my AC powered battery charger (Protech1230i) charges the House and Starter Batteries with two separate circuits. I called ProTech and they say the charger is designed to handle different bank sizes separately as long as they are the same battery type - AGM in my case.

I would like to know what is the purpose of the Echo Charger? The Echo Charger manual that came with the boat shows it is for charging the start battery when the shore power battery charger is wired to only charge the house. I think it may be set up on the Hunter to charge the house battery when the start battery is being charged by the alternator. If Racine knows his answer would be welcomed. This why I am trying to locate the Echo Charger.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The EC is designed to provide a max of 15A current to the start bank. The alternator output goes to the house bank. You'd never want the EC to be wired the "other way" start to house, 'cuz the start bank doesn't need a big charge while the house bank does after a night on the hook.

JWC

Aug 28, 2011
Hunter 40 Phuket
Glad you enjoyed the read Pat. If you have a voltage sensitive relay installed as suggested by Quadrille38 then that explains why the breakers are closed as normal but could be opened or closed as required if the VSR plays up. Sounds like a good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.