Starlink - For Off Shore

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Just a bit of an update. I switched to the starlink plan for off-shore use and that system has run very well across the North Atlantic. Several hundred miles east from the Azores, it would take about 45 minutes for my system to connect and become sufficiently stable to use. But so far, if has been frankly amazing!

dj
If its not too much to ask, what's it is costing you to run. Im not so concerned about the capital cost, but running/reoccurring costs is like a leaking tap onboard. it quietly eats away at my budget. I have done 15 years without it and I dont see it replacing anything. I would still need my mobile phone, still need data, although wouldn't use as much on the phone. I tend to get weather via mobile data in which ever country Im in and when Im in transit or no cell access I get it via sail mail over HF, slow but works and cost about $350usd per year (for sailmail), so its about $30USD per month. It seems Starlink could be between $50usd & $100USD.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If its not too much to ask, what's it is costing you to run. Im not so concerned about the capital cost, but running/reoccurring costs is like a leaking tap onboard. it quietly eats away at my budget. I have done 15 years without it and I dont see it replacing anything. I would still need my mobile phone, still need data, although wouldn't use as much on the phone. I tend to get weather via mobile data in which ever country Im in and when Im in transit or no cell access I get it via sail mail over HF, slow but works and cost about $350usd per year (for sailmail), so its about $30USD per month. It seems Starlink could be between $50usd & $100USD.
It's expensive. The cheapest off-shore plan is $250 per month. That limits you to 50 GB per month. Then it's $2 per gigabyte beyond that limit. So I watch my usage and if I'm getting towards the end of the month and haven't used much, then I may watch a movie or two. I had one month where I went slightly over but usually it's an easy limit to stay below. That month was because a crew mate was using my starlink heavily... (Yes, I was watching)...

Sounds to me like you don't need it. As I'm a neophyte crossing oceans, I figured I'd use everything at my disposal. I also wanted to make sure I could get weather forecasts and had very low confidence in the Starlink reliability. So I started with the "Let's see is this thing actually works out in the middle of the ocean"...

I've actually been using multiple systems simultaneously to see and compare. I get grib files over my openCPN (very similar to your sailmail, although free - but running through the starlink - otherwise you'd need your sailmail). I'm running an Iridium GO, I've got a SSB set up with a pactor IV modem (haven't used it, I've gotten lazy with the Starlink....).

With the exception of sinking where the starlink would not be functional, it is amazing (no direct experience, don't wish for it either)! I think if you have the budget, it's fantastic. I would have a mobile SOS system (I've an EPIRB and the Iridium GO - in any case, pick your system). But other than that, I've no need for any other system while crossing for data. Of course at port a cell phone is very nice to have.

dj

Last edited:

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
The cheapest plan for offshore is a bit less than that. The $250 Mobile priority plan isn't necessary, as the standard $150 Mobile plan with $2/GB offshore will suffice (I'm using US prices here). The difference is that the more expensive plan gives you 50GB of data before needing to activate the $2/GB option, while the standard plan does not. Overall, the price is the same if one spends all of their time truly offshore, but if the offshore usage is only a fraction of the use on a passage, while the rest of the time is near shore, then the standard Mobile plan is cheaper.

BTW, Starlink plans are priced differently in different countries, so if one is cruising outside the US, it might pay to switch accounts to the cruising area. For example, we are in Guatemala and the equipment here cost us $200, and the plan is $56/month. Mexico is similar cost, and Panama just a bit more.

Mark

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The cheapest plan for offshore is a bit less than that. The $250 Mobile priority plan isn't necessary, as the standard $150 Mobile plan with $2/GB offshore will suffice (I'm using US prices here). The difference is that the more expensive plan gives you 50GB of data before needing to activate the $2/GB option, while the standard plan does not. Overall, the price is the same if one spends all of their time truly offshore, but if the offshore usage is only a fraction of the use on a passage, while the rest of the time is near shore, then the standard Mobile plan is cheaper.

BTW, Starlink plans are priced differently in different countries, so if one is cruising outside the US, it might pay to switch accounts to the cruising area. For example, we are in Guatemala and the equipment here cost us $200, and the plan is $56/month. Mexico is similar cost, and Panama just a bit more.

Mark
Yes - but $150 plus $2 per gigabyte at 50 gigabytes is the same price.

Additionally, I was not 100% sure that plan would work everywhere. However I've run into folks using that plan and they have had the same coverage as I do. So if you watch your usage and keep it low, that is a cheaper way to go.

I tend to use my 50 gigabytes ...

dj

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Yes - but $150 plus $2 per gigabyte at 50 gigabytes is the same price.

Additionally, I was not 100% sure that plan would work everywhere. However I've run into folks using that plan and they have had the same coverage as I do. So if you watch your usage and keep it low, that is a cheaper way to go.

I tend to use my 50 gigabytes ...

dj
But with the $150 mobile plan the “inland“ data is unlimited. ”Inland” seems to include marinas and anchorages. You do not pay $2 per gigabyte unless you select “Priority Data”, which then allows Ocean use.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney

Mark
So if you bought in US, started your account in US are you still paying the $150US in Mexico or do you get a bill for the reduced amount in Mexico, and vica versa?
So if you end up still paying the $150 in Mexico, then does the reverse apply, ie buy and setup in Mexico and get the reduced (Mexico) rate in the US as well ?

At the $56usd Mexico rate for example Im guessing Philippines rate wouldn't be much different, and I could buy there, get that rate. But if it were that simple Im sure everyone would be doing it ??

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
So if you bought in US, started your account in US are you still paying the $150US in Mexico or do you get a bill for the reduced amount in Mexico, and vica versa?
So if you end up still paying the $150 in Mexico, then does the reverse apply, ie buy and setup in Mexico and get the reduced (Mexico) rate in the US as well ?

At the $56usd Mexico rate for example Im guessing Philippines rate wouldn't be much different, and I could buy there, get that rate. But if it were that simple Im sure everyone would be doing it ??
Yes. You pay the plan price for where you bought and registered it regardless of where you are using it. If you move someplace else that has cheaper plans, then you would end your account and start a new account at the new place.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
So why don't US people buy it in Mexico all the time and use it in US getting much better prices. For that matter it would make sence for me to buy one in Philippines and open an account there, get it shipped to Ozy use it at Philippines rates as I sail from Ozy through New Caledonia onto to Fiji, Marshalls, Micronesia, Palau and eventually into Philippines. Am I missing something ?

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
So why don't US people buy it in Mexico all the time and use it in US getting much better prices. For that matter it would make sence for me to buy one in Philippines and open an account there, get it shipped to Ozy use it at Philippines rates as I sail from Ozy through New Caledonia onto to Fiji, Marshalls, Micronesia, Palau and eventually into Philippines. Am I missing something ?
It isn't convenient, and often difficult, to buy it in another country because you need an address there to receive it.

Your plan to buy in the Philippines and use in Oz-Fiji won't work because those are different continents (as defined by Starlink, not plate tectonics). You would possibly save money on the cost of the equipment, but the plan would change when you changed continents with the cost being whatever continent and country you are in. You could still do this by getting the global mobile plan, but this costs 3x as much as the regional mobile plan.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
....... those are different continents (as defined by Starlink, not plate tectonics). You would possibly save money on the cost of the equipment, but the plan would change when you changed continents with the cost being whatever continent and country you are in. You could still do this by getting the global mobile plan, but this costs 3x as much as the regional mobile plan.
So is there starlink continent map of the world ?
When you change starlink continents, you must have global roaming is that the story ?
Fiji for example, has starlink and is cheaper, but what starlink continent is it in ? Does it include other pacific Islands?
For example i will depart Ozy heading for New Caledonia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Micronesia Palau and finish up in Philippines across how many continents ? As far as Google is concerned its all Oceania

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
So is there starlink continent map of the world ?
When you change starlink continents, you must have global roaming is that the story ?
Fiji for example, has starlink and is cheaper, but what starlink continent is it in ? Does it include other pacific Islands?
For example i will depart Ozy heading for New Caledonia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Micronesia Palau and finish up in Philippines across how many continents ? As far as Google is concerned its all Oceania
Attached is a map showing Starlink "continents". Unfortunately, it doesn't show the South Pacific islands well, so difficult to determine where they fall. It does show Australia and Philippines being different "continents".

To use on different "continents", you either must have a global roaming plan, or change your plan on every "continent" to the cheaper local roaming plan. Both plans would use the pay per GB mode when offshore. To change your plan on new continents, you would cancel your Starlink account and start a new account.

Mark

Attachments