Starboard vs. Port Pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Smith

I notice that I am able to point higher on a starboard tack, vs. a port tack. Any reason for this? What can I do to correct this? Thanks, Don!

W

Will

How determined?

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer or suggestion about your problem. It has come up before on this forum, however, if you wish to check the archives. My reason for responding is to ask how do you know there is a difference in pointing beween tacks? If you are relying on your wind instrument, what have you done to ensure that it is accurate? Or are you determining wind direction with a windex and compass? What is the difference in degrees between starboard and port pointing? I'm curious too about this phenomenon.

A

Anthony Bavuso

Faster on starboard tack?

Don, I don't know if this is related but I have also noticed that my boat sails faster on one tack as opposed to another. Measured by both knot log and gps. My first thought was that the mast was plumb, but I have measure the distance from the mast head to the chain plates on either side and it is very close.

D

David Smith

Starboard vs Port Tack

I want to thank both people for their responses. To answer Will's question, I am basing the pointability of my C25 based on my Windex. On a Starboard tack, I can point approx. 20 degrees higher than on a port tack. Maybe I am not factoring apparent wind, but wouldn't that also be the case in both tacks pointing as high as I can. Someone once told me that it was the fact that my motor is on the port side, meaning more weight. However, this occurance happens with one or more people on the boat. The rear stay is closer to the Starboard side of the boat. Thanks again for your response, looking forward from hearing from you all!

J

John J

Starboard Tack / Pointing

A dumb question, but when sailing is the engine shaft pulled fully from the water? If not it can act as a second rudder and change your pointing ability. This was true on our C25.

D

David Smith

Starboard vs. Port tack

That is not such a dumb question. We do tilt our engine out of the water. If it was left in the water, it would definitely slow you down, however; wouldn't the pointability remain the same? I know that some people reading this might say, "who cares!" but this has been bothering me for a while. Plus we sail on the Mississippi, and depending on the wind direction, we have to tack a fair amount!

D

Don Guillette

starboard vs port Pointing

Dave: Interesting question but I can only guess at an answer since both tacks should be about the same from a pointing / speed standpoint. Have you ever had the rigging tuned by a professional? I assume the sailing conditions are the same on each tack.In other words, sea conditions are not a factor. My brother sails a C25 out of RI and he does not experience your problem. I'd start with the rigging.

N

Nukesailor

Another possibility, assuming you've checked your mast and rigging, is if the keel is not exactly in line with the centerline of the boat. If the keel is cocked a little, it would develop greater lift on one tack versus the other.

M

Michael O'

An Old Answer?

My first day of sailing years ago, I found the same thing - could point higher and go faster on one tack versus the other. While my solution became obvious (jib lead blocks not positioned identically) I'm guessing the answer is just about as old - it almost requires that the rigging be different from one side to the other. You sound far too experienced for this, but maybe? Michael O' s/v m

P

Peter Hine

Or weight distribution?

Weight distribution port/stbd can affect pointing as well. Like having more "rail meat" on one tack than the other. Get one of those "levo guage" bubble level things, and make sure you sit flat in the slip...

Status
Not open for further replies.