Starboard, Trex, etc. as spacer for boarding platform arms

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I need to install a new boarding platform with ladder, to my H23. Because of the reverse transom, the original ladder was installed with wood block spacers behind the top arm mounts, so the platform would not tilt up so much at the rear. These are wood blocks about 1.75 by 1.75 by 3.5 inches. You can see one of them in the attached photo - the top end was cut at about a 45 degree angle, I guess for looks. These are cracking, and I want to replace with a composite. To make it a bit more level than it is, I'd go with 2 inch thickness.

Thinking of Starboard, except I'd have to buy a 1/4 in sheet and layer it up (8 layers) to be thick enough (the thicker sheets are too expensive) - unless there is a source for it in a 2X2 "spindle" type format?
Maybe Trex or Azek or one of the composites you can buy at the big box stores? I assume these are OK for UV resistance if they are used on decks?

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I would use Azek, but not Trex. Trex is like wood splinters mixed in with polyethylene. Azek is just foamed out PVC. Azek works easily with regular woodworking tools like saws and such. Many people have used Azek to replace teak with good results. Your spacer application is not a high load application, so it should do just fine.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Thanks for the replies. Best option so far is the "no name" PVC trim, like Azek, at Home Depot. I think I can take a 1 by 2 trim piece (3/4 by 1 1/2 real) and lay up a few layers to make something like the wood spacer. The 8 ft piece of trim is maybe $8. I should be able to use the PVC pipe glue I have to lay it up and cut it.