Starboard list

Status
Not open for further replies.

hz293

May 29, 2009
Catalina 27 Kalama, WA
I have a 1979 Lancer 25 with the outboard mounted in the well. The boat lists to the starboard side and I am curious if anyone here experiences this. The only thing heavy on the starboard side is my battery in it's compartment but I keep my tools, etc,. on the port side.

Harris

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
How bad is the list? How big is the battery? Assuming it is a regular automotive sized deep cycle the battery is unlikely to be the cause. My L25 was very sensitive to weight moving about, but only if the weight was people sized. The closer to the center line the weight is the less impact it will have, so this is a tough one. I was going to say check to see if the motor is centered in the well, but it is so close to the center line it shouldn't make a big difference if it is off by the inch or two it is likely limited to. The only things I can think of is your water tank or your fuel tank. Both will be some of the heaviest objects on your boat when full. Anything else has to be really heavy or really out of whack. I presume the mast is up?

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 22 Marina Del Rey, CA CA
Harris,
On my 1975 L 25, with a 2007 8HP, four cycle outboard, I keep my 30 gallon water tank almost dry since it is the heaviest item other than the outboard. I take two 3 1/2 gallon gas tanks, both in the back of the cockpit. I also plug my cockpit drain holes since water comes in when I am powering. The plugs have quick release in case the cockpit floods. So far no problems, even when sailing to Catalina from Marina del Rey.
novelman

Dec 17, 2007
Lancer- 25- Cherry Point, NC
Gentlemen,
I just finished enclosing my transom on my L25 and am going to be mounting my Evinrude 9.9 on the back of my now reinforced and re-glassed stern. I wanted to off-set the motor, mounting it on the starboard side of the stern so I could make use of the flat space in the center for a removable swim ladder. But all the discussion about listing is making me pause to reflect. Will off-setting the motor make my L25 list significantly and are there any other measures I can take to balance weight to minimize the effects? In my head, I really like my plan. Would welcome the advice.

-usna06marine

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good afternoon usna06marine...or should I call you colonel. I flew in E-2 Hawkeyes and went through Pensacola in 1980, hard to believe three decades ago! Anyway back to your question.

I wouldn't expect your boat to list too much as there are many small(er) sailboats that mounted their outboards off-center. I'm guessing that your engine weights about 100 pounds, which is less than a "typical" person weighs. If concerned, I'd offset your fuel tanks to the other side. The great thing about working with fiberglass is that you can mount it and if it doesn't work out you can change locations without a lot of time, money, and effort.

Also, I'd love to see photos of your glassed-in transom/lazarette, like to know how you like the change and what you plan on storing. Steve

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My old L25 had the stern glassed in and the outboard on a bracket in the center. I didn't have any listing problems. I think that Steve is correct in that a 100lb outboard shouldn't cause a significant list, but the outboard is...well...out board...so some need for compensation should be expected. And as you well know putting it on a bracket just means its a significant mass on a lever as far from the center of mass as possible. Meaning that it will exert more force than a mass closer to the center of mass...like say the fuel tank in the lazarette you can only move slightly to one side or the additional battery you might add to off set the weight.

Speaking of which, I'd suggest mounting on the port side, given that your batteries are on the starboard side like mine used to be. Adding batteries is a useful way to offset the mass of the outboard...it just might take a big one...but you will have plenty of house battery reserve. My concern then shifts to the cockpit drains, which are pretty close to the water line. I noticed mine were pretty close to the water one day with two adults in the cockpit while I was picking up a third in my tender. I moved some stuff to the forward lockers in the head, which helped a little. Definitely a good thing about a bigger boat. Less worries about impact on trim.

Be sure to back the bracket with marine plywood and some backing plates. Mine was backed with plywood and small stainless washers by the owner that did the work and the washers were badly bent. As a quick fix I replaced them with larger ones to distribute the weight/force, but something larger would be better, especially if you have a heavier 4-stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.