Standup jib sheet blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
The jib lead blocks (Schaefer deck mounted with spring) which are bolted to the deck of my Oday 25 are shot. I don't see them in the Schaefer catalog. Any one know where to get an exact replacement? Base plate is and inch and 3/4 square.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You might find that you can replace the block with similar, using the same base plate. For example, if the Shaefer is a 57mm sheave, you might be able to remove the bock from the plate, and replace with a 57mm Harken. On my smaller boat, I was able to do this with my Harken swivel jammer for the main sheet, and replaced the block with a ratcheting block. It was just a clevis pin that held the block on the base, and when I removed the small shackle that came with the ratchet block, it fit right down into the jammer. Could be the same for your standup blocks.

Brian

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The jib lead blocks (Schaefer deck mounted with spring) which are bolted to the deck of my Oday 25 are shot. I don't see them in the Schaefer catalog. Any one know where to get an exact replacement? Base plate is and inch and 3/4 square.
an internet search will get you what you want... those are tough, long life blocks and I have seen them sell new anywhere from $100 to $325 each..... you can replace the sheaves for $20-$35 for the pair and you will have good blocks again.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Hmmm?....... Sounds like the setup on the main sheet for a sunfish....hint...hint...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The original block is not removeble from the mounting plate and to fit a new sheave you will need to drill out the old axle and make a new one.
On mine I went with Rudy's (DR Marine) suggested Garhaurer replacement block. You do need to drill new holes but you end up with a nice BB block.
Here is the link. http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR25-19

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
The old units are not worth the work and cost to repair. It willnow be Garhauer replacements. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.