Standing water under engine. Catalina 275

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport Grapevine
I have a couple of inches of standing water under the engine that is not draining into the bilge. Shouldn’t there be a drain to allow this water to enter the bilge?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
No. The bilge under the engine is there to collect oil and other pollutants. My boat has two bilges under the engine. I use a shop vac to get the water out of the larger bilge under the engine - usually the result of rain water leaking in under the pedestal.

Nov 27, 2019
C&C 30. MK1 715 Lake Norman
The important question is; where is the water coming from?
Is it fresh or salt water? If its fresh water does it have antifreeze in it? (You can determine this by tasting the water.) If its salt water you have a leak in the raw water cooling system or its leaking around the outdrive. If its fresh water with antifreeze, its a leak in the fresh water cooling system. Last option is that its rain water, in that case look for the source topside.

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport Grapevine
Ok, good to know about the bilge under the engine. This is my first sailboat, my power boat just let everything into the bilge.

It is fresh/lake water. Part of it is my fault, trying to drain the raw water side to winterize the engine. I thought it would drain to the bilge. It seems like my petcock isn’t closing all the way. Water wouldn’t stop coming out of the raw water pump. I will have to figure out where the rest came from.

Thanks

Nov 27, 2019
C&C 30. MK1 715 Lake Norman
Thats good news!
You know what the problem is, much easier than trying to find it