Standing rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Porter

My boat is 29 years old and the standing rigging has never been replaced. The boat is never sailed in heavy weather and I do not race. The rigging looks good, no rust or cracks, etc. Is there any need to replace it ?

W

Warren M.

Some years ago, I owned a small C&C which, like most C&C's under 30 ft, had oversize rigging. When that rigging got to be 25yrs old, I began to think about it a lot particularly when the wind was howling. I kept wondering if today was "the day....." And my rigging looked ok to the naked eye at deck level. I decided to have the whole thing replaced,more for psychological reasons than anything else. I just didn't want to be worrying about it. When the rigging shop gave me the old rigging which I thought I'd keep for spares, I was astounded to find, when using a magnifying glass, a couple of hair line cracks developing in the studs attached to the uppers. I was overdue for a rig failure. If your rig is 29 yrs old, give some serious thought to either replacing it or having an expert do a thorough inspection of it at deck level and aloft. Rig failures can be catastrophic....

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Alan,

How much time was the boat rigged every year and was the rigging removed stored inside during the winter? What boat is it that you own( what size)? Are there noticable kinks or unwinding of the cable? Can you see any sign of the cable starting to pull from the swagged fittings? I know a lot of boats in my area have never replaced their rigging and some of these boats are 30+. That doesn't mean they shouldn't. Are you going to keep the boat for a few more years? If you are going to keep the boat, I would replace the rigging for peace of mind. I would also replace it if you plan on using the boat a lot. Replacing the rigging is actually a pain. Every few weeks of sailing you have to retune your rig because of the initial stretch of the new rigging. A 25' boat should cost about $400 to $500 to put new rigging and terminal fittings on. (installed by you) r.w.landau added note: Just as important as the rigging, check the terminal hardware like turnbuckles, pins, and jaws.

A

alan porter

Thanks for the responses

It seems like the general consensus is to replace it. My boat is rigged and in the water all year round because the climate is mild in Victoria. However, it is only sailed a couple of weekends a month in the winter. Regards to all. Alan

May 18, 2004
W D Schock Lido 14 Milpitas, CA
Oh, Brother!

Oh, brother! Replace it..NOW. IT'S TIME. IT'S YOUR LIFE. IT'S CHEAP INSURANCE.

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
Don't bother to replace the rigging.

The local Sea Tow, TowBoat US or the Coast Guard always needs a reason to practice their rescue skills. You will be of great aid to these organizations in the near future. On their behalf and that of the boating community, I thank you for the opportunity you will give them to practice their skills in a real life situation. Jim

Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
Alan, talk to Yachtech or Blackline

but I am very confident they will tell you it is wise to replace it. I would think the only true check would be to have it x-rayed or some other non destructive testing method for metal. But the cost might be the same as having new rigging made. FWIW, I sailed in the Round Saltspring on the May long weeekend in 35+ kts of wind, saw 10 kts on the GPS on 27 year old rigging. Was I nervous? Yes... did the mast survive? Yes... Would I like to replace it? Yes... Am I going to? Not at the moment

F

Franklin

I don't feel so bad....

Somebody told me that I should replace mine every 10 years (not sure if it's because it's a B&R or not) and I'm on year 9. Also, if the rig has to be adjusted every two weeks for a couple of months, then I guess it makes sense to learn how to do it yourself so installing it yourself is a head start on that...and saves money. Only spending $500 sure beats what I was thinking it was going to cost me. Thanks for the good info guys.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
rigging

You might want to browse or search the guest expert forum by Brian Toss April 17 to April 29, 2005. There were many questions and discussions regarding the life of standing rigging in differing usages and differing climates. You are in a fairly mild climate so your rigging should last longer than some others but FWIW IMHO you should replace it before you go out again. If you amortize the cost over the years of usage it really isn't that much compared to a lot of other standard boat maintenance items.

Status
Not open for further replies.