Standing Rigging Replacement Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2012
MacGregor 26d Indianapolis
Good thread!!

I think it was you that mentioned...

...using cable clamps to help swage the thimbles. I used...

...them and was able to do it by myself, but a second set of hands would sure help.

Did you find Fisheries Supply to have better pricing than riggingonly.com?

Good info for all of us, thanks,

Sum
Thanks Summer, I stumbled across your blog b4....wish i had your tool & die shop! Can't wait to see what you do with the Endeavour

Best regards, John G

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Ok I'll look at what I have tomorrow. The one thing, is that I had cut the single adjuster plates on almost all of the shrouds. This was done out of desperation where I needed extensions for my current shrouds. I really wasn't thinking about future users of these shrouds. Of course the reason I was replacing my shrouds was because I was using my Clipper Marine CM26 mast which is 26.5 feet

Here's a picture of the ends I cut.

I'm not sure if I have all the double parts of the adjuster but will look. I would probably use turnbuckles anyway.

The first pic is a close up of the cut piece, I think the second is of the rear stay

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
The Sta-Lok studs would've been a "cleaner" way to do the lower ends, IMHO. They are easy to install, and don't require any special tools.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
The Sta-Lok studs would've been a "cleaner" way to do the lower ends, IMHO. They are easy to install, and don't require any special tools.

That does look nice. 2 things about nicopresses: less expensive and easily inspected visually. I have had problems with Sta-locs accomodating variations in wire diameter. One hundred miles from home and the sta-loc barrel would not fit over the wire. Solution- ream barrel just a few thousands to standard wire size. Party town (Mccall idaho) with no machine shop services. Probably never happen again in a hundred years, but what a hassle.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
I just got off the phone with the Nico Press people. Their company, the National Telephone Supply Company developed the simple, in-the-field metal cable swaging ability in response to the Government's need to create submarine nets. www.nicopress.com

The strength of a properly assembled nicopress cable and oval will hold aircraft control cable in tension until it breaks. The caveat here is that all materials be mil spec. If non-mil spec materials are used, pull testing is recommended to establish work load limits.

As I look over the web concerning nicopresses, there is incredible amounts of misinformation. Go to the source mil-dtl-83420m dated 2-17-09

Status
Not open for further replies.