Standing Rigging on Hunter 34

Feb 28, 2006
Hunter 34 610 Narragansett Bay
I've owned my 1984 Hunter 34 since 2005. I've had the spar/rigging visually inspected 3 times by local rigger (last time in 2020) and everything looked good. I don't know if it's original or if it was replaced at some point. Mast is down and on saw horses for the 1st time since 2009. I'm guessing this is a very expensive project so if I can delay that expense....... Is it necessary to replace or does it make more sense to just keep what I have and continually monitor/inspect? Beer can racing and local cruising is my norm.

Thank you,
Randy
s/v Mental Floss
Narragansett Bay, RI

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Headstay B&R rigs put most stress on head so replace that first especially if roller furler that adds chafe to mix

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The H-34 has very stout rigging. If the rigging inspector is not finding any corrosion in the swage fittings, especially the upward-looking ones, and no broken strands, it is not necessary to replace.
By upward-looking, I mean the fittings with the wire insertion looking up. Water can sometimes pool in the fitting and start corroding the fitting and the wire. These will show rust stains running around the wire insertion and down the sides of the swage .. As whatfiero says, check the headstay for chafe under the foil supports for wear.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  • corrosion in the swage fittings,
  • especially the upward-looking ones,
  • and no broken strands,
  • Check headstay for chafe
As Identified by @kloudie1 are key elements used in rigging inspections. If you are day sailing and plan on light use of your rig not exposing it to:
  • the stress of high winds,
  • ocean sea states with sizable wave action,
  • racing... etc.
then your sailing stresses will help to minimize the stress on your rig. Eventually all sailing takes a toll on the metal parts used in operating your boat. "Most boats in the marina are past due for a standing rigging refit" according to my professional rigger.

I would add that checking the chain plates on your boat should be part of your inspection. Only you can know the condition of your boat.

Images of rigging found on a boat that the owner said was ready to sail...
Rust on the Forestay chainplate
71A56FB7-76FA-47FD-BFE6-04C2316352E1.jpeg

Everyone of the covered shrouds showed rust staining on the deck
384F7391-2101-40D2-9F7D-5CC901C5D4C2.jpeg 0BE9149D-1198-45E9-A04F-FFA459BECCB1.jpeg

Back stay adjuster with rust stains
6DC39815-8365-4742-82D8-7C8B1DEC491B.jpeg

As often said..Your boat your decision.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I've owned my 1984 Hunter 34 since 2005. I've had the spar/rigging visually inspected 3 times by local rigger (last time in 2020) and everything looked good. I don't know if it's original or if it was replaced at some point. Mast is down and on saw horses for the 1st time since 2009. I'm guessing this is a very expensive project so if I can delay that expense....... Is it necessary to replace or does it make more sense to just keep what I have and continually monitor/inspect? Beer can racing and local cruising is my norm.

Thank you,
Randy
s/v Mental Floss
Narragansett Bay, RI
Just some thoughts:

Has a rigger inspected it now that the mast is down and they can take their time and see it up close while not hanging in a bosuns chair?

It's at least 16 years old right? What did it look like when you bought the boat? When you bought it did the seller tout that the standing rigging had been recently replaced? If not it is probably at least 20 years old.

How hard do you stress it when you race?

If it fails at sea the whole rig is likely to come down. "...if anythings gonna happen it's gonna happen out there". That's dangerous and extra expensive.

It's probably less expensive to replace it on the hard with the mast down than in the slip with the mast up.

My thoughts are that you should do it now and if you don't you are gambling. But of course it is not my money or my boat and I am not a rigger.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The problem with standing rigging is that corrosion can occur where you cannot see it. Most notably down inside the swaged ends. That is why they recommend it be replaced every ten years. It's the only way to be sure. One thing you can do for some peace of mind is just replace the headstay. It is the only stay that is not redundant. The failure of any other single stay will not bring the rig down.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
The failure of any other single stay will not bring the rig down.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

40 years or so ago I lost a cap shroud in not very much wind and down came the mast. Unlucky day!

Just over a year ago I lost a forestay while my jib was roller furled. Fortunately the sail and halyard held up the mast until I could attach the second jib halyard to the tack fitting. Very lucky day!

• Wow
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Last failure I witnessed was stem ball pulling out mast so rig didn't fail mast failed so all the inspectors can check but cant tell future

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
my h34 1983 original owner inspected every season, never had any issues. I replaced everything in 2014 after hurricane sandy , and the boat suffered storm damage. My rigging was visibly inspected but I just didn’t trust it. I replaced it for my own peace of mind.
I used sea cost south in Florida and found them to be responsible priced as they did original rigging for hunter. I sent them everything to be duplicated and that thought that all original rigging appeared to be in good shape, however I still wanted it replaced. Peace of mind knowing that everything is 100% I felt was worth it.
Most insurance companies will not cover a loss if rig is not certified and that is a huge cost if mast fails due to maintenance issues.

hope this helps

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

40 years or so ago I lost a cap shroud in not very much wind and down came the mast. Unlucky day!

Just over a year ago I lost a forestay while my jib was roller furled. Fortunately the sail and halyard held up the mast until I could attach the second jib halyard to the tack fitting. Very lucky day!
T
Did this happen on a Hunter 34?