Standing Rig rplacement on a 1967 O'Day Tempest

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Carroll

I need to replace the outer shrouds and turnbuckles. The wire size is 5/32" but I have no reference to length. Anyone with an old reference book or experience? Unfortunately the boat was launched and on a bouy before the defect was noticed. It is moored in an area without knowledgable riggers. Any chance I could have the shrouds spec'd out in Detroit and replace with the mast standing? (using a halyard for a temp. stay) This restored lady is antsy to run after a long winter rest.

D

Don Evans

Drop the Mast

Peter: The boat is just not big enough to safely go up the mast. A fall even from ten feet onto a pitching deck is not going to make your day. Bring her in and drop the mast. Get it done right and safely. Besides you will get a close look at the upper toggle and other mast head do-hickeys. If this is all original rigging, why not consider replacing it all. IMHO it is the cheapest, most significant improvement you could make to her. Take care. Don

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Agreeing with Don

Peter, Don is correct. Your boat really is too small to safely send someone up the mast. I would take in and drop it, and like Don says, inspect the whole thing. Most riggers like to see the boat they are rigging, or at least the rigging they are replacing to ensure that they are going to get an accurate fit. If there is no rigger near you, consider sending the wires to West Marine's rigging shop. I had them do the rig on my Catalina this winter and the turn around was quick and the work excellent. Price is hard to beat as well. Rerigging is cheap insurance, and will increase your enjoyment of the boat by giving you less to think about when the wind picks up. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.