Stanchion throughbolts leaking... any ideas?

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
My '86 cat22 new design is leaking slightly from the through-bolts for the stanchions. Plan was to rebed with butyl after possible epoxy & redrilled bolt holes. After removing the pretty wood trim inside, I was surprised to see the 4 "through" bolts with the 2 inner bolts cleanly inside the hull/top overlap and the 2 outermost bolts seemingly dug into exposed deck coring just above the hull joint overlap. Pics to follow.

I need to seal those bolts, however,
1. the 2 outer bolts for each stanchion are nestled into the coring and near unreachable unless I dig out more coring
2. Whomever installed the stanchions used some type of sealant, epoxy maybe?, which has intentionally or accidentally encapsulated the bolts and washers. I'm not sure how to or if I even should break them free before using a wrench to loosen them.
3. If I use "peanut butter" epoxy to repair the exposed core/wood after rebedding/sealing the bolts, will I just invite future problems
4. Does anyone else's new design use this type of stanchion hack... um, installation technique? Is this a poor factory install or a not-quite handy man job?

These are the 2 midship stanchions. I don't even know how to reach the outer bolts for the 2 forward stanchions. (See pic, only 2 bolts exposed, accessible)

Thank you for any help offered,
John

Port side midship, over the table
20180620_181318.jpg

Starboard side, midship
20180620_181940.jpg

Starboard with light, not sure you can see the epoxy? covering the nuts and washers here
20180620_182301.jpg

Port again, midship
20180620_181224.jpg
Starboard side, forward stanchion, only inner bolts showing
20180620_183058.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Can you back the bolts out from the top, by putting a vice clamp on the nut, and turning the head?

I'd probably try that if possible, and then place painter's tape covering the bolt hole, and fill the bolt hole from the top with denatured alcohol thinned epoxy. Good luck - it's always some kind of crazy access issue..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Mine looked just like yours. I had to cut away some of the liner with a Dremel to get a grip on the nuts.

Last edited:

AndyC

May 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Albuquerque
My Wife and I just did our starboard side stanchions today -- a pair of needle nose vice grips was essential! Getting the washers and nut back on each was a fiddly time consuming process involving tape, super glue, and popsicle sticks.

Attachments

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
There is a keel locking bolt under the forward dinette seat. It’s intended to lock the keel in the down position, but it can get jammed in the up position if someone’s not paying attention when loading on the trailer.
Once you’re past this problem, you’re gonna love the boat.