Stanchion rebedding question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2013
ODAY 30 Dallas
This question is probably answered somewhere, so if anyone could point me to the right thread, I'd appreciate it.

I acquired at 1982 O'Day 30 and am working on a few issues. The gate stanchion needs to be rebedded. I can't find any access to the through-bolts from below and am thinking of cutting an access hole in the fiberglass "cove" that appears to be covering the spot where the stanchion is bolted to the deck.

Before I cut a hole . . . any other ideas?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
On my 82 O'Day 37, all of the stanchion bolts are accessible from below. The carpet material that covers the inside of the hull extends to the top edge of the deck and covers the stanchion nuts and washers (no backing plates). Pull the carpet back from the spot where you think that the bolts should be. It's a tight fit to get your fingers and socket up to the nuts. Your O'Day 30 could be different, of course.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
You'll need another pair of hands on the deck and a flexible head type ratchet wrench and you might be able to slip it under the fiberglass headliner but if you can't and want to get the job done faster then you'll need a hole saw
I had to make mine a little larger cause I made some backing plates to replace the weeny washers Oday put in.....I covered the sin with a blank electric outlet cover

Attachments

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
If you have to cut access, do it. You can always make a cover that looks fine. IMO, there should be access to all stanchion nuts/bolts. At some point they will need attention.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Found the picture of the backing plates......these are 1/4 inch stainless but aluminum would work too

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.